Fiskars Splitting Axe/Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since getting the X25 (and now the X27), there are only two or three times I have brought out the maul and wedge in the last three years. Wonderful tool that saves a lot of work. Just be sure you keep your legs apart, wear steel toed boots, and swing straight down overhead not over your shoulder. All of my sons will be getting these axes for Christmas or birthday presents over the next couple of years.

Nope its great but wont split everything like my 20lb Monster Maul did....Works very well on most straight grained woods up to 14"-18" diameter,especially Red/Black Oak or Ash.Not worth as much on most Mulberry,White Oak,some Hickory over 8" diameter or anything with big knots,crooked or gnarly/spiral grain.Have to use big maul or sledge/wedge for those things,at least 1/2 or 1/4 them open first,then the X25 has it much easier..

Try lying the round on its side and striking the bark side of a knotted round... You' ll be pleasantly surprised. I used to fight with knots and crotches, not anymore....

Reactions: dorkweed
I used to fight with knots and crotches, not anymore....​

Me either. ;) >>

dsc03818-jpg.81703

Reactions: Bub381
Me either. ;) >>

dsc03818-jpg.81703

Mines as little as that cute little toy laying on the ground. 3.5 hp of miniature slow power....hey, I traded an old beat up 100 dollar husky 55 for it...

D68D7A43-EFFC-4D11-946A-1493040944B4-55-00000001DB9E3928.jpg

Me either. ;) >>

dsc03818-jpg.81703
Only in my dreams. Hopefully by this spring I will be in a 4 way partnership for a 22 ton...but for now I really love my X27....I went from the stone age to the bronze age, what you got is the rocket age!

Try lying the round on its side and striking the bark side of a knotted round... You' ll be pleasantly surprised. I used to fight with knots and crotches, not anymore....

I dont fight with them either....

Attachments

• PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Love my x27. I Might try an x7 reading the posts here.
I have an estwing hatchet but sometimes it doesn't seem
heavy enough.

I think the estwig might be a touch heavier with the longer handle than the x7...but something about the head shape, cutting edge and coating make it AWESOME. Maybe the x11 would fit you nicely too...

Love my x27. I Might try an x7 reading the posts here. I have an estwing hatchet but sometimes it doesn't seem heavy enough.

I think the estwig might be a touch heavier with the longer handle than the x7...but something about the head shape, cutting edge and coating make it AWESOME. Maybe the x11 would fit you nicely too...

Ya , I think the estwig is probably heavier than the x7, I will be adding the x11 to my arsenal in the future.
One of the best things about the fiskars is ,the head won't come loose and the handles are indestructible

Ya , I think the estwig is probably heavier than the x7, I will be adding the x11 to my arsenal in the future.
One of the best things about the fiskars is ,the head won't come loose and the handles are indestructible
Sounds good. Thanks guys.

I also have an 8 lb maul which I found useless.
Try grinding sides of the leading edge back to a more gradual angle. It won't bounce out of the wood nearly as often. Sometimes you need the extra mass of the 8-pounder to plow through tougher rounds.
I encourage everyone that wants to hand split to own a fiskars, but if you can only have one splitting tool, then start somewhere else....Since I am so wealthy and all, i chose to have the 8lb, 6lb, a fiskars,
6-pound maul (with ground taper) is usually the first thing I grab unless I know it's easy-splitting wood...then I might grab the X-27 or the 4-1/2-pounder, which you apparently aren't wealthy enough to afford yet. ;lol I hit the lottery, and now have a 4# and 4.5#. >>
Here's the 4-pounder. It fell off the quad and laid in the woods for a while; Probably 3.9# now. ==c
004-8.jpg

Try grinding sides of the leading edge back to a more gradual angle. It won't bounce out of the wood nearly as often. Sometimes you need the extra mass of the 8-pounder to plow through tougher rounds.
6-pound maul (with ground taper) is usually the first thing I grab unless I know it's easy-splitting wood...then I might grab the X-27 or the 4-1/2-pounder, which you apparently aren't wealthy enough to afford yet. ;lol I hit the lottery, and now have a 4# and 4.5#. >>
Here's the 4-pounder. It fell off the quad and laid in the woods for a while; Probably 3.9# now. ==c
I've got one of those fiberglass handled deals with that flare. I hate the dang thing gets stuck in the wood too much for my liking.

I think the estwig is probably heavier than the x7
Check out the Estwing Fireside Friend; It's a hatchet/maul...4# head. _g
I've got one of those fiberglass handled deals with that flare. I hate the dang thing gets stuck in the wood too much for my liking.
I only use it on the easy stuff. If it's sticky stuff, I plow through it with a maul.

I finally got to use my new X27 for an hour or so the other day. I like it, but I still prefer my older Super Splitting Axe, which I guess is the older equivalent of the X25. I guess I got used to the shorter handle. Which ever one I used, it sure was nice to blast through some Black Locust rounds. I hadn't done any splitting since March up until last week. It feels so go to get back into it. I even like the soreness the day after.

I'd be very careful doing that - if you hit just a bit off top dead centre, the axe might deflect to someplace you really don't want it to be.

Reactions: Thistle
Love my x27. I Might try an x7 reading the posts here.
I have an estwing hatchet but sometimes it doesn't seem
heavy enough.

I have an x25, and use it for small stuff (like kindling) just by choking way up the handle to the head. I don't really think I'd use an x7 much at all if I had one.

I'd be very careful doing that - if you hit just a bit off top dead centre, the axe might deflect to someplace you really don't want it to be.

Yep , things could go wrong if not careful

Reactions: Thistle
Well, after reading the posts here about the x27 and looking at others, I ordered mine from Amazon, $40 shipped. It came today and can't wait to go out an start whacking into the pile tomorrow. I debated on the x25 too but liked the longer handle of the x27. My hubby wasn't thrilled with the thought of me swinging an ax but he brought me home a pair of steel tip boots tonight and told me to perfect my ax wielding skills in case the zombies come :)

I am half expecting working with the X27 this past fall and winter to help my golf drive reach 300 yards. OK maybe not, but we'll see. Might also be good for the timing of the golf swing, where you want the greatest amount of acceleration to happen as close to impact as possible, rather than be wasted at the beginning of the swing. It forces you to not to rush the initial timing.

(Only problem, of course, is the direction of the swing won't translate — I wont be aiming the golf club between my legs, unless I hit the wrong b@lls.)

In retrospect I might have gone with the X25 at my 5'10 height, and gray-haired as I am — might have preferred a little less work wielding that weight out several inches further ... but once you get used to it.

It definitely gets the job done — even knotted and two-core rounds succumb to the split eventually. I use a block/stump under it, cos there are a lot of exploding rounds, especially if my son joins in the action, and it goes through to whatever's underneath. It's amazing to see two 25-30lb pieces of wood just go flying left and right.
And yes, feet well apart.

Reactions: HDRock
half expecting working with the X27 this past fall and winter to help my golf drive reach 300 yards. OK maybe not, but we'll see. Might also be good for the timing of the golf swing, where you want the greatest amount of acceleration to happen as close to impact as possible, rather than be wasted at the beginning of the swing. It forces you to not to rush the initial timing.
Wow...sounds like someone is getting cabin fever.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
After another day with the X27, I'm starting to to really appreciate it. Those extra couple of inches add quite a bit of power, yet the tool still has the lightness and control of my smaller Super Splitting Axe.

Wow...sounds like someone is getting cabin fever.

you got me pegged.

but while we're at it. A couple of knotty bits.

Planning to do some more of this this weekend.

Knot_this.jpg

Love the split visible around the knot on this one ^ took about for or five whacks to get it to give.

Below, pristine and ready to go, limb-knot or not.

ForThoseAboutToSplit.jpg

Well, after reading the posts here about the x27 and looking at others, I ordered mine from Amazon, $40 shipped. It came today and can't wait to go out an start whacking into the pile tomorrow. I debated on the x25 too but liked the longer handle of the x27. My hubby wasn't thrilled with the thought of me swinging an ax but he brought me home a pair of steel tip boots tonight and told me to perfect my ax wielding skills in case the zombies come :)

Way to get youself a free pair of steel toecap boots lady!

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Status
Not open for further replies.