Fiskars super splitting axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Just another A+++++ review on this beast of a splitting tool.

Anyone with a true temper "winged" splitting axe, sorry, but it's nowhere near the same. I just got my Fiskars in yesterday and split 5 18" rounds into med-small splits in a total of maybe 10 minutes. I'm by no means very experienced at splitting, and just by how quick I got this split up I would compare it to the speed of a lower end power splitter with a single way wedge. I got it on ebay for $40 total with shipping, which actually came out CHEAPER than if I got a true temper splitting axe or maul at the Lowes. I'm SO glad I held off. This was more like fun time than work.

I WAS splitting red oak, so I can't really comment as to its effectiveness on harder to split species.

i just ordered mine via amazon yesterday.
I ordered the 3pk that includes 28" 4# splitter, sharpener and smaller hatchet type tool. With the free shipping option I think the final cost is something like $78. I'm hoping to have it by the end of next week.

Got mine a few weeks ago. It is as good as they say it is. I sometimes find myself giggling at how easily it splits wood. Its very different from a maul. More of a cutter than just a splitter. Also seems like the rounds and splits don't go flying as much as with the maul.

Got mine a few weeks ago and the sharpener just showed up Today and I think if you get the axe go ahead and get the sharpener, I found when the axe starts to get dull it starts to stick in the wood more.

So, based on all the rave reviews I saw on this splitting axe, I went and picked one up today. Just an FYI, anyone looking for one, Sears sells them in their retail stores.

I must say, I am honestly not as impressed as I thought I would be.

It does do really well with anything 10" or less. Anything larger, and my maul does a much better job, the Fiskars appears to just stick, whereas the maul splits the larger stuff easier.

That said, I really like it for anything 10" or less. It's easier on me to use than the maul, except when I want to pop something large apart, at which point the maul is definitely better.

Now, for knocking the sides off large rounds, it does a great job as well. But, I found many of the rounds that my maul would split down the center with a single shot, the Fiskars would not and just stuck (again, the larger rounds.)

So, while I really like it, and use it for all the smaller stuff, I found myself going back to the maul for the larger stuff because even though it is harder to swing, the number of swings is much, much less with the maul on the larger stuff.

Of course, once I got the larger stuff down to a smaller size that needed more splits, the Fiskars worked great there too.

Newstove-I believe the one they sell at Sears is the Pro Splitting Axe which only weighs 2 1/4 pounds.The one most people on this Forum are raving about is the Super Splitting Axe,they weigh 4 1/4 pounds and there splitting edge is narrower,believe me the extra 2 pounds makes a world of difference.I own both of these axes and use both on a regular basis.The Pro I use for smaller splits or as limbing axe,the Super for everything else.I bought an extra Super just to carry in my vehicle,I find a lot of free wood that is all ready bucked but to large to move so I will split it on the spot so when I get home all I have to do is stack it.

I have had one for a little over a year now and love it. In my oppinion if you have a good sharpening stone it will do much better then any pull-threw sharpeners, when I sharpen my splitting axe I am amazed at how well it will take an edge on a stone, the metal doesnt seem very hard compared to some knives I have sharpened.

Actually, since I've been playing with it a little more (gotta play with new toys ;-) ) I am quite happy that I got it.

It does great with smaller splits, and with the lighter weight, I can swing it all day long. So, I find that I'm using it for the smaller stuff and using my maul (which is actually a winged maul with a smaller head, not exactly like the Fiskars Super, but definitely not a regular maul either) on the larger stuff.

And, since the Fiskars Pro is also easier to aim, I wind up making better splits out of the smaller stuff. And it saves my arms too for using the heavier maul (and sledgehammer/wedges when necessary.)

Can you please recommend a good sharpening stone for the splitter (is round better)? I have some Japanese water stones that are the last word in sharpening. Maybe I'll try those.

MMaul said:
I have had one for a little over a year now and love it. In my oppinion if you have a good sharpening stone it will do much better then any pull-threw sharpeners, when I sharpen my splitting axe I am amazed at how well it will take an edge on a stone, the metal doesnt seem very hard compared to some knives I have sharpened.

In my experience, you'll be there for hours with those water stones. What # are they? The ones I've seen are always very fine, and I only use them for the finishing work on my blades, and I wouldn't dream of risking damaging the stone using it to sharpen woodcutting tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.