Fiskars "Unbreakable" handles...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWNH

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
Well, I broke one. In all honesty, I think it went above and beyond the call of duty though. It got caught in the return stroke on my log splitter last year and put a small crimp in the handle. This year when pounding in a felling wedge, it just snapped (right where the crimp was of course). Sent these pics to Fiskars and they are sending me a new one. All done online.

BTW, I find that friction/skateboard tape really helps with their slippery handles when used with gloves.

Attachments

• fiskars_1.jpg
    fiskars_1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 13,229
  • fiskars_2.jpg
    fiskars_2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,953
Um, I don't think being put through an hydraulic press constitutes "normal usage." :) Even Cyberdyne Systems T-101 didn't survive that!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They were very nice to replace it.

Wow. That's something I never thought I'd see.Short of some fool driving over it like the guy did with my Monster Maul 20 yrs ago lol.

TreePointer said:
Um, I don't think being put through an hydraulic press constitutes "normal usage." :) Even Cyberdyne Systems T-101 didn't survive that!

I agree. How does that even happen? I also wouldn't think that the head of a fiskers is the best tool to drive a wedge in, especially a metal wedge.

Warranty fraud........................

now Fiskars will have to raise its prices

looks like a piece is missing???
handle appears to be different sizes

Kenster said:
TreePointer said:

I agree. How does that even happen? I also wouldn't think that the head of a fiskers is the best tool to drive a wedge in, especially a metal wedge.

He said 'felling wedge',which are normally plastic or wood.Though decades ago when crosscut saws were used,they were sometimes aluminum.

Thistle said:
He said 'felling wedge',which are normally plastic or wood.Though decades ago when crosscut saws were used,they were sometimes aluminum.

I found one of those in my basement. I'll have to post some pics some time.

Kenster said:
TreePointer said:

Plastic felling wedge...keeping the kerf open when I was bucking a log.

ironpony said:

looks like a piece is missing???
handle appears to be different sizes

Nope. One part is lower than the other giving it that illusion.

that fiskar is used to split wood with, not to be used as wood in a splitter.. :lol:

sebring said:
that fiskar is used to split wood with, not to be used as wood in a splitter.. :lol:

Damn! I knew I was doing sumt'in wrong...

SWNH said:
sebring said:

Damn! I knew I was doing sumt'in wrong...

You got to darn many wheels on your 4 wheeler too! You better get your act together!

lol

Thistle said:
Kenster said:
TreePointer said:

My little Fiskars splitter (old model that is equivalent to current X17) spends more time driving felling wedges than it does splitting wood.

ironpony said:

x2. You give the impression that they are sending you a new one free of charge? Kind of BS if that's really the case.

Yea, well the new one arrived today. If they wanted the old one back to verify the damage, they could have asked for it before shipping the replacement. Whatever...

One noticeable difference is the upsweep of the handle butt end is much more pronounced. Much better hand retention. I might not need the grip tape on it this time.

I broke the handle on my X25, similar to you, I sent them pics and had a replacement in hand 5 days later. Fantastic service! They've earned a customer for life!!

How is this warranty fraud?
It broke, plain and simple.

So what if it got stuck somewhere, ran over, dropped from the top of a 20ft ladder... If they're willing to replace it without looking at the broken one, they must not be too worried about it so neither should you.

Hass said:

So what if it got stuck somewhere, ran over, dropped from the top of a 20ft ladder... If they're willing to replace it without looking at the broken one, they must not be too worried about it so neither should you.

It's all about the language in the warranty. Most warranties have a "normal use" clause. If the tool breaks/fails while not being used as intended (abused) or as reasonably expected, then it is not covered under warranty. If one attempts to make a warranty claim on the knowingly abused tool, then that is fraud. Plain and simple.

Even if companies know the tool was abused and is not eligible for warranty replacement, many companies replace the the item under warranty to make the customer happy and not take a PR hit. If many customers do this, it can cut into the company's bottom line and raise prices for everyone. It also can change a the warranty coverage on future products from a nice lifetime warranty to a 5 year warranty or severely limited warranty to limit replacement costs. That ruins things for the rest of us who would like to make legitimate warranty claims when needed.

As I stated earlier, Fiskars was very nice to replace the axe, and I'm not complaining that OP got a new axe. However, do we really think that having the handle strength compromised in a 20+ ton hydraulic spitter (press) is "normal use?" I don't.

TreePointer said:
Hass said:

It's all about the language in the warranty. Most warranties have a "normal use" clause. If the tool breaks/fails while not being used as intended (abused) or as reasonably expected, then it is not covered under warranty. If one attempts to make a warranty claim on the knowingly abused tool, then that is fraud. Plain and simple.

Even if companies know the tool was abused and is not eligible for warranty replacement, many companies replace the the item under warranty to make the customer happy and not take a PR hit. If many customers do this, it can cut into the company's bottom line and raise prices for everyone. It also can change a the warranty coverage on future products from a nice lifetime warranty to a 5 year warranty or severely limited warranty to limit replacement costs. That ruins things for the rest of us who would like to make legitimate warranty claims when needed.

As I stated earlier, Fiskars was very nice to replace the axe, and I'm not complaining that OP got a new axe. However, do we really think that having the handle strength compromised in a 20+ ton hydraulic spitter (press) is "normal use?" I don't.

I absolutely agree that this was pushing warranty terms past the point of reason. According to Fiskars the warranty wording is ...

"This product is warranted to the consumer purchaser to be free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the consumer owns the product. At Fiskars Brands, Inc.'s option, defective product will be repaired, replaced or substituted with a product of equal value. For warranty service, call Fiskars Brands, Inc. at 1-866-348-5661. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which may vary from state to state."

This clearly wasn't an issue around "defects in material and workmanship" but instead an issue of misuse. Its not that I'm "worried about it when Fiskars isn't worried about it" and I am impressed that the OP got the replacement so readily but it clearly is pushing warranty terms past the point of reason and I absolutely would have made myself alone accountable for my mistake by buying a replacement instead of trying to make Fiskars accountable for my mistake.

Edit: So as not to sound too judgmental, I should also add that IF the OP told Fiskars honestly what happened and Fiskars still sent the replacement then that's totally their decision and doesn't amount to any fraud at all. However if Fiskars thought the handle simply snapped under regular usage then that's when I would say it is fraud. Since I don't know I should assume the best but its hard to tell from that first post.

I understand. I've even experienced warranty replacement before I could even explain what happened.

I went into Sears to replace a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet that was slipping badly, and I also had with me a 3" chrome socket extension that I had broken through misuse. They replaced the ratchet and the extension before I could even explain that I had brought in the extension only as a reference for my purchasing a new one. I finally was able to tell them that I broke the extension on a 25" breaker bar plus 3 foot cheater pipe when attempting to remove an engine core plug. I said that I really should have been using an impact extension or a square impact pipe plug socket, but they said not to worry about it and and to just take the new chrome extension free of charge. Oh well.

About 20 yrs ago I found a Craftsman 20ft tape measure on the dirt at a jobsite I was working at.Return spring was toast & it wouldnt retract (this is very common after a couple years of heavy use),so someone clipped the hook off & it wound up inside the case.I took that to Sears that evening & they gave me a new tape measure.Last time a few yrs later I went to exchange a tape measure they opened a desk drawer & gave me a 'remanufactured' one with old case & new tape refill.They used to let you pick a new one off the shelf,but not anymore.Though because of heavy use,the refill wears out fast & the outer case can last for 10 yrs,if its not dropped 20 ft on concrete or smashed somehow.

I dont mind remanufactured tape measures,hard to tell them from new most times.But I wouldnt accept that in a tool that gets swung or struck,such as hammers & axes.

After contacting fiskars asking a few questions about their warranty, here is what they replied with:

Thank you for your interest in Fiskars. While we have a very generous warranty replacement program, we do not cover any/all breakages.

FISKARS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: This product is to be free of defects in materials, manufacture or assembly for the life of the product. Normal wear, sharpening, industrial use, or damage due to abuse, misuse or neglect are not covered. Defective products will be repaired, replaced or substituted with the same item or an item of equal value.

Our lifetime warranty does not guarantee that our products will last forever nor does it guarantee that they are indestructible.

Specifically, if you drove over your axe and it broke, we would not cover it J

Thank you for choosing Fiskars.

pen said:
After contacting fiskars asking a few questions about their warranty, here is what they replied with:

Thank you for your interest in Fiskars. While we have a very generous warranty replacement program, we do not cover any/all breakages.

FISKARS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: This product is to be free of defects in materials, manufacture or assembly for the life of the product. Normal wear, sharpening, industrial use, or damage due to abuse, misuse or neglect are not covered. Defective products will be repaired, replaced or substituted with the same item or an item of equal value.

Our lifetime warranty does not guarantee that our products will last forever nor does it guarantee that they are indestructible.

Specifically, if you drove over your axe and it broke, we would not cover it J

Thank you for choosing Fiskars.

So if you try to recreate the scenario in their ad picture and break the handle, you will be hooped.

Attachments

• allaxes_sml.jpg
    allaxes_sml.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,467
Many years ago, Schrade knives had a "if you lose it, we will replace it" guarentee on their knifes, especially the LB-7. It was amazing how many consumers then lost their knives. Needless to say, that guarentee soon went by the wayside....................just sayin

Loan your Fiskars to Danica Patrick. She can wreck anything. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.