Fix older Resolute or buy NC 30 for my tenant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptoad

Sep 27, 2015
Maine
Hi Wood Gurus, I have learned alot about my Resolute that I couldn't get from anyone locally. Reading your threads I have learned why the firewall cracked - I never knew you had to or COULD clean behind the wall. I've had the thing for 28 years. Now, however, I have a tenant in my little house in Maine and I am training horses in the Central Valley of California. My tenant has become concerned about the stove. She recently mentioned it was smoking. I had someone out to check it out last year before season began. Guy recaulked top and doors, noticed the crack. No mention it could be cleaned or fixed. I recently learned that it wasn't just flukey draft puffs, she said she woke up to a smokey house twice. I decided to buy a new more efficient stove. Then I started reading Hearth.com threads that mentioned how the newer ones could smoke you, if you weren't savvy to their needs. Now I'm concerned that my tenant's learning curve might include some smokey nights even with a new stove. The Resolute was incredibly forgiving. I've had other tenants who used it without issue. This tenant has used it 4 years. So, I want to be sure my tenant is safe, but I don't want to buy a new stove that also ends up smoking her. Questions are: If I clean out behind the fire wall of the Resolute will it be safe to burn with crack in the firewall? Would a rebuilt Resolute w guarantee be preferable to a new NC30? I can't imagine the new stove lasting as long as the Resolute has. Got wisdom? Questions? Thanks for all the info I've already found on your forum.

I mistakenly posted this as a conversation to begreen. His reply about where to post included this comment :

PS: If the stove is cracked it is scrap. The crack will most likely widen. It will also disrupt air flow.

A modern stove like the 30NC will be safer, but will absolutely require fully seasoned wood to perform well.

My next question was:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction BG. Will repost. I am aware of someone in Maine who rebuilds stoves and can replace the firewall, which, since it can be replaced I presume is not part of the cast exterior. What's your take on that?

I am headed to Maine to take care of this in a couple of days. Thanks for any help you can offer.

If the fireback is the only cracked part then the stove may be repairable. This doesn't explain the smoking problem. That could be from other causes like a plugged flue system, poorly seasoned wood being burned or maybe an incomplete cleaning of the secondary passages?

PS: A fireback kit is not cheap. It will be around $300 and that is before any labor. As much as I like the old Resolute I think in this circumstance I would retire it. VC stoves are complex and there are other parts that are bound to be worn too. Considering this is a rental unit I would be inclined to have a simpler, clean burning stove in place with the explicit instructions that only fully seasoned wood is to be burned.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

If the fireback is the only cracked part then the stove may be repairable. This doesn't explain the smoking problem. That could be from other causes like a plugged flue system, poorly seasoned wood being burned or maybe an incomplete cleaning of the secondary passages?

PS: A fireback kit is not cheap. It will be around $300 and that is before any labor. As much as I like the old Resolute I think in this circumstance I would retire it. VC stoves are complex and there are other parts that are bound to be worn too. Considering this is a rental unit I would be inclined to have a simpler, clean burning stove in place with the explicit instructions that only fully seasoned wood is to be burned.

Thanks begreen. I know the chimney is cleaned before each season. The Resolute has never had heavy creosote build up (tenant says this is still true). I had hoped the guy I hired last year had actually done the checking and cleaning. I will do so myself when I get there and clean behind the firewall. Thank you for the distinction between the crack and the smoking problem!

My understanding of fully seasoned wood is that it is stored under cover (shed or such, not a tarp) for at least a year AFTER it is delivered as "seasoned wood". Will get a moisture meter, but my guess is this will be an issue when you are buying wood, not cutting yourself.

I am strongly considering a refurbished Resolute, or newer one I check out, because it has proven so forgiving and safe w tenant use.

The Resolute is a venerable old stove. Not the cleanest burning now, but a good small heater. We bought one new back in 1979 and loved it. Getting a complete rebuild is not a bad idea. The bypass damper parts start wearing with steady use and should be replaced when that starts happening.

Agree with BeGereen - I also have fond memories of the old Resolute I as my Dad installed one at the same time. I grew up with it.

Dad still uses it in fact, though its seen better days and the bypass damper has not worked right in years. Every winter I give him the same advice I would give you, retire it with honor and look at something new. The NC30 is supposed to be a great stove, but if the resolute served the heat load fine than the smaller NC13 might be all you need, and cost less than the parts alone to fix the Resolute.

I have a feeling if/when you tear down the Resolute to rebuild you will probably find more parts than just the fireback need replacing and due to the age some of them are not made anymore.

Seeing that so far this thread is for an old Resolute I am moving it to the Classic forum.

There are several things that could bring about a smoking stove. Assuming a clean flue system the first and most important is operator error. That includes burning unseasoned wood, loading too much too soon or too large wood on an insufficient coal bed, dampering down too soon, no air to the fire, etc..

One thing to check when you see the stove is to make sure that the thermostatic air control is still working correctly. If the chain or thermostatic spring is broken the fire will get no air.

Status
Not open for further replies.