Flame Height Question for A Heat n Glo SL-9X

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charlie Hopkins

Oct 7, 2021
Blue Ridge, VA
New member and my first post. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I was hoping you could help me figure something out....

We just had a Heat n Glo SL-9X SlimLine gas fireplace installed. It's 42" Wide with a 35,000 max BTU. The flame is blue and does not come over the top of the logs. All the marketing literature and videos for this model show yellow flames and are taller than the logs by a couple of inches. I had the fireplace company come out to look at it and they told me that the incoming pressure was low at 4.5 WC. The fireplace needs between 5-10WC.

I had the gas company come out and they confirmed my incoming gas service was at 4.5 WC. The gas company replaced the meter and regulator and now the pressure is 7.5 WC. When I operate the fireplace the flames are still blue and not any taller than before. The fireplace puts out the heat I expected, but the flames are much lower than I expected and don't resemble the pictures & videos from the distributors websites.

Is there an adjustment for the flame height on the Heat N Glo SlimLine 9X or anything else I can do to get the flame a little taller? Thanks in advance

New member and my first post. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I was hoping you could help me figure something out....

We just had a Heat n Glo SL-9X SlimLine gas fireplace installed. It's 42" Wide with a 35,000 max BTU. The flame is blue and does not come over the top of the logs. All the marketing literature and videos for this model show yellow flames and are taller than the logs by a couple of inches. I had the fireplace company come out to look at it and they told me that the incoming pressure was low at 4.5 WC. The fireplace needs between 5-10WC.

I had the gas company come out and they confirmed my incoming gas service was at 4.5 WC. The gas company replaced the meter and regulator and now the pressure is 7.5 WC. When I operate the fireplace the flames are still blue and not any taller than before. The fireplace puts out the heat I expected, but the flames are much lower than I expected and don't resemble the pictures & videos from the distributors websites.

Is there an adjustment for the flame height on the Heat N Glo SlimLine 9X or anything else I can do to get the flame a little taller? Thanks in advance
pictures please....

There is an air shutter that can be adjusted. The ember material placement can also help with flame appearance. If it is vented and terminated vertically, there is an exhaust restrictor that can be installed. All this info is in the install manual.

Agreed we need pictures. You wouldn't be the first customer to get a natural gas fireplace with a LP burner orifice. Just one possibility.

Is there an adjustment for the flame height on the Heat N Glo SlimLine 9X or anything else I can do to get the flame a little taller? Thanks in advanc
I suppose a picture would help :) See attached. Thank you

IMG_2937.jpeg

How do you turn it on? Remote? The pressure out, pout, needs to be measured. If that is correct and flame is small you could have a blockage or wrong burner orifice. Some manufacturers make it hard to measure that. Agreed flame looks small.

How do you turn it on? Remote? The pressure out, pout, needs to be measured. If that is correct and flame is small you could have a blockage or wrong burner orifice. Some manufacturers make it hard to measure that. Agreed flame looks small.
I use a remote to turn on the fireplace and control the various functions. Raising or lowering the flame with the remote does nothing noticeable to increase or decrease the flame. I have the tech from the fireplace store coming back again this Thursday. The tech was here last week and tested the fireplace gas line and informed me I had 4.5 WC coming in. Now the I have 7.5 WC coming in I am very curious to hear what the tech says now about the low flame.

IMG_2964.jpg

I use a remote to turn on the fireplace and control the various functions. Raising or lowering the flame with the remote does nothing noticeable to increase or decrease the flame. I have the tech from the fireplace store coming back again this Thursday. The tech was here last week and tested the fireplace gas line and informed me I had 4.5 WC coming in. Now the I have 7.5 WC coming in I am very curious to hear what the tech says now about the low flame.

View attachment 283046
4.5" wc coming in, was most likely ok. Most fireplaces run 3.5" wc at the manifold. This would allow 1" wc drop across the valve. Putting the gauge on the manifold port while running the fireplace will tell you right off if it did not have enough gas pressure.

The picture could be better, but i see some blue flame that should have some rock wool on it.
The venturi air adjustment could be adjusted, but it is usually set for NG from factory.
I would keep after the install people. They did a lousy job setting up the firebed....

The gas company replaced the outside meter last week and today the fireplace company came out. The tech replaced the regulator in the fireplace and now all is well. Thank you everyone for the information, very informative and appreciated.

IMG_3028.jpg