Flapper closing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
Why does my flapper close itself when I have it set where I want it? Its kinda frustrating, I can physically see my flapper, so I set it according to sight, not according to what the dial shows. Then a few hours later, I see my flu temps are way down telling me the flapper has closed itself. If I dont re-adjust it at this point the stove will not put a constant heat and begin to cool. Am I missing something?

That is the thermostat action. There is a bimetal coil that keeps the heat.output even.

How do you know where you want it? You are setting it at a position where evidently the heat output is less than what you want. I.e. you should set it higher if it gets too cool.

Eventually the flapper will open up again when the stove.cools.beyond what the setting you dialed in is

Just checking because when it closes itself the flu temps drop into the 200’s from the 500’s and the stt temp is cut in half to around 150 degrees.

Yes, that is possible.

The trick is for you to find the dial setting that gives you the amount of heat you want. Use a piece of tape to mark it. If that is consistent for e.g.10 F weather, 30 F weather, and 40 F weather, mark those spots, and you know what to do based on the weather forecast.