Flex Pipe / liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff in pa

Jan 24, 2007
All,

First post... and a Newb at that!

I've just started looking for a stove and have settled on a Jotul Oslo. Lots of factors went into that decision but that's another post.

The two shops I have talked to so far have both recommended running flex pipe the whole length of my chimney. I'm talking about a 30' + full masonry fireplace chimney. Should I be using the flex pipe just for the first 5 feet or so then regular straight pipe? I may have misunderstood them but when I asked, the one shop insisted that the flex pipe, even with all the nooks and crannies for creosote to build up in, actually would have less build up because of expansion / contraction when heated and cooled. They claim this would dislodge accumulated creosote leading to a cleaner pipe?? Any of this sound reasonable to you??

Is the flex pipe way more expensive than the straight walled pipe?

Thanks,

Jeff in PA

jeff in pa,
Earlier this year I installed a Jotul Oslo in my fireplace, myself. I used a MagnaFlex Stainless Steel liner kit, made my own block off plate, etc. I would recommend using the liner the whole way up. Search on JotulOslo to read about my trials and tribulations. Some of my posts include pictures of the block off plate I made.

This site is a wonderful asset, and you will be glad that you found it.

JotulOslo

I was told the same thing by a dealer about expansion/contraction. Was a dealer in Tamaqua. I used flex for the bottom 5 ' and double wall insulated rigid the rest of the way. Alot of folks on here have used full flex the wholw way, and I have read no complaints. I was also told on here the exp/cont. was BS. I spent a lil more and went with the rigid after the 5' flex. Self install, not real bad. I did alot of prep work, cur some of the old metal heatilator steel box out for an almost straight run into top of insert.
You can get a comnplete flex kit on ebay for about $450.00 give or take some. I paid about $1,100.00 for my set up. And am happy to pay the extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.