Flexible liner questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason4249

Oct 21, 2009
Northern Va
I'm buying a used f3cb, the guy has a flexible liner he pulled out with the stove when they remodeled. I don't know who made the liner...

Questions are:
1. Can I reuse his liner? I looked at a couple of warranties online and they state to have the liner inspected before reuse. I called a couple of sweeps to check and they quoted me around $150 to inspect it, on the ground, not installed in the chimney. I think that silly!

2. If I were to reuse his liner, it would be short by a couple of feet. Is there a way to extend it safely?

Last edited:
Thanks begreen. Pulling the light through it is a good idea, and thanks for the link.

Any tricks for taking the insulation blanket off without ruining it, or should I just plan on buying a new one? I'll also run the brush thru it a few times.

You can also check during the daytime by taping one end at a time shut and looking for sunlight penetration (if it is not too long to see at least 1/2 way through).
Either way the insulation will have to come off to truly check for leaks. It may be salvageable if it doesn't tear too much, otherwise just replace it.
If it is only netted on, you may have luck, if it is adhered on with adhesive, it may be a paint in the arse.

It's a shame there isn't some way to pressure test it for leaks, especially if the insulation is in good shape, it would make it a lot easier if you didn't have to remove it, and have the bonus of an already insulated liner for no addl cost.

It
It's a shame there isn't some way to pressure test it for leaks, especially if the insulation is in good shape, it would make it a lot easier if you didn't have to remove it, and have the bonus of an already insulated liner for no addl cost.
I agree. Especially if it is glued on. I don't know how much you will be able to see once you pull the insulation off as the adhesive will leave a layer of insulation on the liner. Maybe you can rent a camera to snake through it. Seems like a lot to pay a sweep to inspect it but depending on how they do it it may be a wash because if you ruin the insulation your gonna spend more to replace it. I know in the interest of safety you want everything perfect before you install but how do folks inspect the liners (or do they?) on installed liners? I know I just clean mine and shine a light up in there and look around for obvious problems. There may be more issues since it was installed, then pulled but you should be able to see those from the outside.

With the right connector you should be able to order a section of rigid liner and connect it at the top of the run.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone, but when I went to pick everything up yesterday there was a decent dent in the liner so I'm going with a new one.

Just a thought on pressure testing... I used a 3.5" PVC cap to pressure test my intercooler system on my truck. Drilled two holes into the top of the cap and inserted a valve to fill and a gauge to read pressure. The cap went inside the air intake tube and I tightened it to the cap with a clamp. I know they make 6" and 5" PVC caps... I was originally going to cut a circle out of a 1" thick board to use as a plug...

Reactions: Dave A.
Status
Not open for further replies.