Floor Models Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
Well, we finally were able to pick a stove. I think the Harman Allure50 will be for us. My better half likes it and I am happy with the manufacturer. So one last cold feet question. They are willing to take a few hundred off the floor model. It is basically new and has never been lit just the dealer says they are required to rotate them before a unit gets too old. I like the discount and saving some money is nice even on a big purchase. I am wondering if anyone has any experience getting a floor model? It looked fine, I went all over it. Buy the floor model on discount or pay full price? I figure if they take off $300 that is like saving $225 after tax credit. So not huge but better than nothing. Thoughts?

I'd go for it. I'd make sure it still carries the same warranty.

When I bought my stove, it was 'brand new, in a crate, ready to go, sitting in the stock room'. I bought it sight unseen over the phone with credit card. I had some issues getting it, getting help to get it, plus life got in the way, and I called asking if they had the space to store it safely for a couple of months. Sure they said, no problem. Well when I went to pickup my stove, turns out the one they had 'set aside' was sitting inside the showroom off the crate but "good news, we just got an order in, you are getting a new one on a crate for last years pricing".

If you are able to check and make sure all the parts are there (handles, ash pan, bolts, spare gasket material if it has it, stove paint if included) then do so. Make sure everything seals well, there is no damage (take a high powered flashlight with you). If it all checks out, and there are no bad reviews for that specific make/model/year, then heck ya take the discount and bring it home. Assuming they have the original pallet to safely haul it back. Mine had a pallet with steel supports to keep the weight off the legs for example for shipping. It was also nicely wrapped. When transporting a stove in an open air container (back of truck, trailer etc) make sure to face the stove glass facing the back. A stone kicked up on my way home with my stove and smashed into the back of the stoves crate and put a nice little dent into it. Another inch away it would have hit the stove, and if I had the glass facing forward, a busted glass for sure.

When I bought my stove, it was 'brand new, in a crate, ready to go, sitting in the stock room'. I bought it sight unseen over the phone with credit card. I had some issues getting it, getting help to get it, plus life got in the way, and I called asking if they had the space to store it safely for a couple of months. Sure they said, no problem. Well when I went to pickup my stove, turns out the one they had 'set aside' was sitting inside the showroom off the crate but "good news, we just got an order in, you are getting a new one on a crate for last years pricing".

If you are able to check and make sure all the parts are there (handles, ash pan, bolts, spare gasket material if it has it, stove paint if included) then do so. Make sure everything seals well, there is no damage (take a high powered flashlight with you). If it all checks out, and there are no bad reviews for that specific make/model/year, then heck ya take the discount and bring it home. Assuming they have the original pallet to safely haul it back. Mine had a pallet with steel supports to keep the weight off the legs for example for shipping. It was also nicely wrapped. When transporting a stove in an open air container (back of truck, trailer etc) make sure to face the stove glass facing the back. A stone kicked up on my way home with my stove and smashed into the back of the stoves crate and put a nice little dent into it. Another inch away it would have hit the stove, and if I had the glass facing forward, a busted glass for sure.

I did go over it very carefully. I will review at pickup again. Store is well regarded, small town, nice folks, busy for around here. I will review the manual to see what is included double check on pickup. What is funny is it looks like it was just sat there. It isn't dusty, dirty, damaged. When I opened it it looked great. So I did go over it with a flashlight already. Excited for sure.

I did go over it very carefully. I will review at pickup again. Store is well regarded, small town, nice folks, busy for around here. I will review the manual to see what is included double check on pickup. What is funny is it looks like it was just sat there. It isn't dusty, dirty, damaged. When I opened it it looked great. So I did go over it with a flashlight already. Excited for sure.
I know this is a dumb question but after reading some (and see pictures) of what some people do, I cant assume. Did you make sure this stove will work for you? Clearances, sizing, connection to stove pipe etc?

The Enviro I bought 22 years ago was a floor model.
At that time the stove sold for 2500$ I got it because I took it
with me for 1800$ and have never regretted buying it.
I am still using the stove 24/7 all winter long
Nice Find

The Enviro I bought 22 years ago was a floor model.
At that time the stove sold for 2500$ I got it because I took it
with me for 1800$ and have never regretted buying it.
I am still using the stove 24/7 all winter long
Nice Find
I have mixed results with floor models. Refrigerator was all sorts of messed up from people letting their kids hang on the doors or something. A leather rocker/recliner that I got from costco for my cabin, had a eraser sized chunk of leather whereas the bare leather was showing. It has been flawless to date, and I got that chair for $250 when it was originally $550 (which is still a great price). They marked it down to 379, and I told the guy about how the rocker mechanism is probably going to need work or replaced from people jumping all over it, so they marked it down further.

Didnt hurt to ask, and they came through? Worst and unlikely thing that could happen is they say no and throw you out of the store.

Look at the production date on the sticker,on the stove. It could be 2 years old. Which is no big deal, being a Harman, BUT it would have cost the dealer way less money anyway. If it is older, he is still making all his profit.

I know this is a dumb question but after reading some (and see pictures) of what some people do, I cant assume. Did you make sure this stove will work for you? Clearances, sizing, connection to stove pipe etc?
Yes for sure. The store owner had me take pictures all around my current stove with a tape measure for venting filling and such. They were very interested in making sure that it would fit and the chimney was ok before selling it.