Floor Protection Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Early4dinner

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
It looks like we are going to get a t6 and I am getting dialed in on the floor plan. Stove manual doesnt list any min r- value for the floor pro. The manual just states ember protection. I am going to use 1" bluestone(sandstone natural cleft). there is hardwood flooring in place now, as much as a flush finish floor would be pretty slick, I think a low profile stone with a little moulding around the outside will be the easiest approach and more versatile if anything ever changes (different stove, addition/ remodel, etc..). My question is what would be the thinnest layer of ember protection i could use under the stone, don't say tinfoil:) I feel like I could almost just butt the stones seams tight together w/o grout and have just a thin ember proof skin below? Im reluctant to try and grout anything with a 600 pound stove on top, Its bound to crack maybe. I do plan on adding blocking to the joists and maybe even a little support jack and girder for good measure, and the occasion dance party. just trying to keep this simple and low profile if possible.

It looks like we are going to get a t6 and I am getting dialed in on the floor plan. Stove manual doesnt list any min r- value for the floor pro. The manual just states ember protection. I am going to use 1" bluestone(sandstone natural cleft). there is hardwood flooring in place now, as much as a flush finish floor would be pretty slick, I think a low profile stone with a little moulding around the outside will be the easiest approach and more versatile if anything ever changes (different stove, addition/ remodel, etc..). My question is what would be the thinnest layer of ember protection i could use under the stone, don't say tinfoil:) I feel like I could almost just butt the stones seams tight together w/o grout and have just a thin ember proof skin below? Im reluctant to try and grout anything with a 600 pound stove on top, Its bound to crack maybe. I do plan on adding blocking to the joists and maybe even a little support jack and girder for good measure, and the occasion dance party. just trying to keep this simple and low profile if possible.
You will need a sheet of metal or cement board under the stone so embers can't fall through the cracks and reach the floor.

22 gauge or thicker. And you can put whatever you want under it.

Reactions: Early4dinner
I'd prefer cement board and set the stone on a mortar bed so that they don't move. Go ahead and grout them too. It will look better.

FWIW our T6 is on an old, ~24" joist spaced floor. It's been there for 9 yrs now and hasn't fallen through yet. No cracks in the hearth or grout.

Reactions: Early4dinner
I'd prefer cement board and set the stone on a mortar bed so that they don't move. Go ahead and grout them too. It will look better.

FWIW our T6 is on an old, ~24" joist spaced floor. It's been there for 9 yrs now and hasn't fallen through yet. No cracks in the hearth or grout.

yeah grout will look better, i was kinda leaning toward having it just a tad lower by using the metal. maybe some tile underlayment like the schluter stuff could help lock them together. probably over thinking it at this point.

On a side note, do you think that thing will run us out of the house. i am leaning towards the 3.0 ft for a few reasons , longer burn, rather error on side of too much heat, primary heat/ only for a 1000 square foot house, 1/2 is one big open room where the stove will be in the corner by a bunch of windows, also its on the far side from the bed rooms. Technically takes up about the same about of usable space since its allowed closer to the wall, and as you said before, you can always burn a smaller fire right? if we ever add on our move, etc.. but part of me says save the money and get the t5,it do the job? it get cold as newengland for a bit shorter of a season here though, plenty of wood around too.. and we're skinny lol

Unless you're planning to do a large expansion I'd get the T5. You don't need the top end btus of the T6 if the home is reasonably insulated. The T5 has the Super27 firebox which provides excellent burn times for a 2 cu ft stove. With VA hardwood, you will be toasty and will wake up to a warm house.