Flue Condition - Looking for Input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kehoe

Oct 30, 2016
Va
Hi all,

I have included images of my two flues, viewed from the top. Can anyone provide input on their condition, as seen from the images?

I can provide any other detail as needed. The two flues belong to my two fireplaces, one on my living level in my home and other in basement.

Thank you!

20161029_135709.jpg 20161029_135523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All Ican see from those pics is sloppy mortar and bad tile alignment. What specifically do you want to know? The only way to get a good evaluation is to drop a camera in there and check for missing mortar or cracked tiles.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks. I had a sweep come out to give us a quote on new caps and next thing I know they are trying to sell me on relining both flues because they say the flues do not pass NFPA 211. The sweep tried to upsell us on a number of other things too.. We had the chimney swept last year and the previous sweep did not say anything like this.

I am trying to guage if the new sweep caught real issues or is just trying to make a buck.

Thanks much

I am trying to guage if the new sweep caught real issues or is just trying to make a buck.
From that pic we really cant tell. What issue did he say caused it not to pass?

They just told me that the tiles were misaligned and that is not allowed per NFPA 211. They only did a visual inspection.

They just told me that the tiles were misaligned and that is not allowed per NFPA 211. They only did a visual inspection.
I dont see any tiles missaligned bad enough to require relining from that pic.

Reactions: Squisher
I dont see any tiles missaligned bad enough to require relining from that pic.

Thanks. I'd appreciate input from any other members, but I think you've answered my question. I understand that I won't truly know if there is an issue without getting someone else out here to inspect, but I'm glad that from the pictures you did not see any serious issues.

I understand that I won't truly know if there is an issue without getting someone else out here to inspect, but I'm glad that from the pictures you did not see any serious issues.
Yeah just because I cant see any major issues with it from that pic really doesn't mean anything. There could be cracks bad mortar clearance issues ect. I just don't know

A video camera (even iPhone) taped to the end of a pruning pole or similar pole, run up and down chimney, facing each of the four walls, will tell all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.