FR9Ford Posted By FR9Ford, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM

1. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    I've seen several videos and pictures where people close the air supply and close a valve in their flue. For what purpose is this? Is this something i should consider trying to install in my insert? Or is that even possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. yooper08

yooper08
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2016
    Loc:
    South Lyon, MI
    It’s another mechanism to control draft, you’re just controlling the exit rate instead of the entry rate. If you have excessive draft, it can be worth looking into.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    I have a lot of problems. Not sure if excessive draft is one though. Does it make a big difference with temperature of the stove?

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Why not tell us your problems

FR9Ford likes this.
  5. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Ive posted a few of them with very little replies. But here we go, buckle up. This is also my first stove. My house is 2300 sq ft, and most of it is open space. The bedrooms are down an L shaped hallway woth

6. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    The kitchen in the middle of the home. I cant get my house past 62 degrees with a buck 94nc. Ive tried fans pushing air towards the stove from the hallway, and my house actually dropped to 53 degrees. I can barley get my stove top past 350 degrees, and kf i do, it lasts 20 minutes. Im burning ash woth 20% or less moisture

7. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Sorry, i keept hitting the post reply button with my thumb. My burn times suck, i can get 2 hours out of 3 pieces, or 3 hours out of 9 logs stuffed in it. And heat output is abismal.

8. DBoon

DBoon
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2009
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Hi FR9Ford, it sounds like your wood is probably too wet, and therefore your insert can't get up to temperature and burn the way it should. Can you tell us about how long your wood has been drying and whether you have tested the moisture content of your wood?

9. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    In my post above i stated that it is 20%, give or take a % piece by piece. Its about 14 months old, stacked off the ground like the internet says to do. I bought a moisture meter off amazon.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    To your original question, the only purpose I'm aware of for an adjustable damper is if you have a problem with excessive draft, causing the fire to burn too hot with little control over it with the air control. It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but that's what they are for.

Good that you know your wood's moisture content. That helps eliminate one potential issue, assuming the measurements are done on the inside face of a fresh split.

11. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Wait, i need to split it again?

12. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Yes, fresh split at room temperature for 24 hours or so. Then you have an accurate reading.

13. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Split it at room temperature then put the meter on a fresh split.

14. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    I just split 2 pieces i had sitting in the house, one was 17% the other 23%

15. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    If those splits were indoors for a day or so, you're good. Try to keep them below 20%.

16. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    It sounds confusing, but the point is that since wood is going to dry from the outside - in, it's best to make sure the measurement is done on a fresh split so that you know what the current moisture is on the inside where it counts. You don't need to do it on every split, as long as they are all seasoned the same and you are confident that the whole batch is going to be about the same.

The reason for the room temperature thing is that the meters can be affected by the woods temperature.

17. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    They've been inside since 4am yesterday. But that means im still getting no where on living in a cold home with a stove eating wood faster than i can drink beer.

18. Rickb

Rickb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    St.Louis
    If your going through wood that fast you have to have too much air flow through the stove which also would cause the heat to go up the flue. When in the middle of a burn is there a roaring fire going in the stove?

19. coutufr

coutufr
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Montréal
    Are you closing the air intake once the fire get going? Are your windows in good shape?

20. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Yeah, after it burns for about 15 minutes, i close it about 1/32" from fully closed, or all the way. I have all brand new anderson windows and doors too. And the fire is mostly just a few lazy flames with some secondary here and there.

21. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    Simple. Drink the beer faster. Okay, bad joke. Meanwhile, don't get discouraged. There may be a few different issues that may take a while to figure out.

ED 3000, weatherguy and Jan Pijpelink like this.
  22. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Haha oh boy. I guess I'm just getting frustrated. Ive fought this stove for 6 weeks now. I paid $7,000 for this and its really irritating to fight it. It seems no matter what i do, my house stays cold, or gets colder because of something i try. So i have no idea what im doing wrong

23. Rickb

Rickb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    St.Louis
    I have no idea how you can have a little lazy flames and go through a full stove in 3 hours.........

Doc C likes this.
  24. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Here's what my house looks like

Attached Files:

25. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    By the time its burned 3/4 of the logs the house drops temp, the stove drops below 200*. Sometimes itll just go out at that point.