Flue Pipe Compatibility- Metalbestos & DVL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Long story short- I have an exsiting 8" flue pipe- Metalbestos Dbl. wall, stainless,insulated flue pipe. After a couple of twists and turns, it ends up protruding from the ceiling, down about 2". (Sorry, Top-Down description). I don't think that's enough clearance, so I ordered an additional 6" section of the Metalbestos insulated Dbl. wall. I also have the Simpson Dura-vent DBL, telescoping pipe, with the close clearance adapter, and ADP/damper section. So, after a couple of test fits( which had me wrestling with the DVL like a mongoose on a cobra((it does NOT slip-fit)), I find I need a tad shorter flue pipe. Question- Would I be better off dumping the Simpson pipe, and going to the Selkirk? Selkirk has a telescoping flue pipe, but the Max. length has me concerned, as I need the minimal side of adjustment, and the DVL seemed to weld itself together at that length. Length of finished pipe will be less than 44", and greater than 36". Input on this absolutely, boring question will be greatly appreciated.-- If it helps, an evil friend of mine put the bug in my ear about plasma cutting out sections of the cast doors on my old Timberline, doing some millwork, and adding glass to them.As they're solid now, I am thinking that'd be really cool. A mountain theme, cast set of doors, with fireview glass. Yeah, in all my spare time. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.