Flue Problems with Majestic MRC42

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Hi All - we just bought a house that has a Majestic MRC42 fireplace setup for burning wood. We have a major issue with the flue closing by itself and then sticking in the close position. The unit is dangerous and unusable at present.

Wondering if others had the same issues with this style unit?

Also would it be suitable to just have un-vented gas logs place in the unit instead of attempting to fix this thing to burn wood safely? Overall the MRC42 seems like a crappy device and it does not put out much heat when its working. Not something I want to put money into fixing if gas logs can bypass the problems.

Thanks
Ken

Just checking if I posted this correctly since I did not get any responses?

Just checking if I posted this correctly since I did not get any responses?
I would not recomend an unvented gas unit. They are not unvented they are room vented. More require you to only burn for short periods or have a window open. But no matter what you do fireplaces like this were never meant to be heaters and they simply wont do it. They are for occasional recreational fires.