Flue temperature ideology - 300*F - 350 *F how many people think this is too cold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(whats the benefit in a twinfall stove pipe?)
Double wall keeps the flue gases hotter since the double wall acts as insulation. Hotter flue gases mean better draft and cleaner pipe/chimney since condensation won't occur when the gases are hot. It's surprising how the temperature decreases as the gases go up the chimney.

Reactions: pault123
So if your actual flue gas temp is 400-500F with clean chimney, that would equate to 200-250*F thermo reading on a single wall stove pipe external magnetic reading?
Roughly correct. The flue temp is going to also vary with the stage of the burn. Starting up our flue might reach 600-800F for 15-30 minutes. I usually take the stove up a bit hotter with the first morning fire for the first 30 minutes. 400-500F is more of a cruising temp 60 minutes into the burn. Your mileage may vary with the size of the stove, wood charge and draft.

Reactions: pault123
I think if you sweep and find very little ash, you will be good without any camera. If you feed it up the flue, you'd probably not see anything until you get close to the top - that's a long way. I doubt that anything at that price will show you much anyway.

I wouldn't trust those magnetic thermometers as far as I can throw em...
Bite your toung! Mine is made in Canada and I rather like it!

A tube of KY and the Time/Life Home Colonoscopy Series Book and you'll put gastroenterologists out of business with that thing....
Yup, got mine on order and opening the new clinic tomorrow.
It takes so little to get the imagination going when you've been without sunshine for 6 months.;hm

I feel the thread lock coming ....

Very carefully.

In this case I think it is being used to mean trim or fiddle with the fire.

Yup, got mine on order and opening the new clinic tomorrow.
It takes so little to get the imagination going when you've been without sunshine for 6 months.;hm

I feel the thread lock coming ....
Hope not, its been real informative so far, learnt a lot :- )

Here it is! I've been waiting!!
threadlock.jpg

I think if you sweep and find very little ash, you will be good without any camera. If you feed it up the flue, you'd probably not see anything until you get close to the top - that's a long way. I doubt that anything at that price will show you much anyway.

I'll stick with the sweep come end of season then :D

Anyone know a conversion for double wall pipe so you can get Flue gas temps? I have a IR gun and a inferno which very accurate according to my gun.

Anyone know a conversion for double wall pipe so you can get Flue gas temps?
There may be one but it would be ballpark at best. For example, I've got 12' of double wall 8" pipe and that provides a lot of air movement between the layers. The double wall I have is not sealed in sections like a piece of chimney pipe is. So, if you've got a 3' section, there is a lot less flow of air to temper the readings.

I typically read 200 at the lower section and 100 in the upper section with the flue thermometer at 500-600 but that ratio goes out the window if I have a flue temp of 1000+. That is much more common than most people believe.

Anyone know a conversion for double wall pipe so you can get Flue gas temps? I have a IR gun and a inferno which very accurate according to my gun.

I doubt such a conversion exists. Get an internal flue probe thermometer if you want to know your flue temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.