Flue Temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris611

Dec 8, 2005
Hey guys, doing some ready here and I keep seeing people talk about their flue temps. I have a Kozyheat Z42 CD with Metalfab TG chimney pipe. I searched here and and google and can't find a kit or probe that's specifically made for fireplaces to measure flue temp. How are you guys measuring this temp? Can you direct me to someone that sells a probe?

Thanks
Chris

The Condar "probe" thermometer actually has its bimetal sense coil *outside* the flue pipe, right behind the dial face. It is basically a surface temperature thermometer, and the probe (made of steel on the one I bought) is pretty much there for looks.

The Condar will give you a general idea what your flue temp is, but for faster response and better accuracy, go with a probe-type dial thermometer from an actual thermometer company. These have the bimetal coil actually down inside the probe... like a meat thermometer.

I use an industrial 750F stainless steel unit that I bought online from Tel-Tru a few years ago, and it works great -- very sensitive indication of the burn rate in your stove. Tel-Tru seems to no longer sell their industrial models online, but their consumer line-up aimed at barbeques and smokers can be ordered from their website, and looks like it has several models that go to 750F or even 1000F that should work:

http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

I'd go with one of these over the Condar, based on their more accurate measurement of inside-the-flue conditions... but that's partly because I'm still annoyed at Condar for selling me a 'probe' thermometer, that isn't.

Eddy

The Condar “probe” thermometer actually has its bimetal sense coil *outside* the flue pipe, right behind the dial face. It is basically a surface temperature thermometer, and the probe (made of steel on the one I bought) is pretty much there for looks.

Eddy,

Are you sure about the Condar? Because I have a magnetic surface thermometer right next to the Condar flue probe on the pipe. It reads approx. half the temp of the Condar. Wouldn't they read about the same if the Condar was only a surface thermometer?

It's double-wall stove pipe.

Mike

I have used my Condor on double wall (last winter) and single wall (since November) and get the same flue temperatures irrespective of which type of pipe. I haven't looked into it, but if the spike is steel, its conductivity is much higher than the layer of air on the surface of the flue pipe. It works for me and certainly alerts you to high firebox temperatures that one may not suspect from the picture you see in the stove window.

Status
Not open for further replies.