Flue tile - Red or yellow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
I see the standard red clay flue tile most of the time,
But I also yellow-cream colored flue tile once in a while.

Is the yellow tile just another clay tile, or is it xomething special?

And do I have a problem that when driving around I "ogle" peoples chimnies ?? Instead of young women ?

Nick

It probably means you're gay. - Sorry.
Or married and tired of getting smacked.

I've only seen orange flue liners.

I bet you ogle women as well.
I personally have been ogling people's wood piles, and dead wood laying in the woods. Especially after we just overpaid for a 1/2 cord to help get us through the spring...

In general (this at least used to be somewhat true) the dark red flue tiles tend to be harder, more resistant to acids. the lighter off-whites and light yellows tend to be more resistant to cracking from quick changes in temperature, softer, and more likely to spall and flake from acids or weathering.

Ours is cream colored, as are all the ones I can see sticking out of the chimney tops of my neighbors. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or a regional combined with a certain time period of construction thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.