For those of you with hamptons and I2400 regency's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saddly I hit 355 as a top, I get it going and choke it all the way down. Do you guys leave the damper cracked open to get it up that high?

I run with damper about 1/2 open durring the day with small 6 to 8" logs. Then at nith run 1/4 open with as big a log as I can stuff in there. I'm burning ash wood and it is a finicky kinda wood. Small splits load the box with a lot of coals that are hrd to burn up.

Actually I burn wood like I drive. Like I stole it. Run wide open, just as long as tube dosen't glow red.

burntime said:
Saddley I hit 355 as a top, I get it going and choke it all the way down. Do you guys leave the damper cracked open to get it up that high?

Me getting 300 or 400 depends on the amount of fuel (splits) that I load - more the splits, reaches higher temperature. If I damper down all the way, secondary shoots for 15 minutes after that I don't see any flames - so I leave it approximately 1/4th open.

Jim41 said:
Joe: It's not from a single load, I reloaded once after the initial start up got burnt down. Remember that these inexpensive thermometers could be off from a few to a significant amount of degrees. This is my first year with the insert, after burning in an open hearth for nine years. After the initial load, and after each reload, I usually open the air all the way to char the wood and to get a strong fire, then I begin to choke it down to slow the burn. Let me know how you are doing with your Regency......Jim

Thanks Jim. I always have the worry whether I'm running inefficiently as this is my first year with wood. I'm exactly doing the same as you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.