Ford Torture Tests

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The skidder test was silly but in general that engine has a really flat torque curve and is really torquey. I think they're onto something and the "torture" testing is necessary to show folks that the turbos won't seize or the heads pop off. This is probably a really good engine that will sell well and even better as the price of its parts drop.

leaddog said:
Watched the log hauling and I bet non of those logs went to the mill. Every one was pulled off the top of the pile so it was easier starting and then the full lenght of the log was pulled thru gravel. I don't think the mill would like that many stones imbedded when they went to saw them. Looks impressave but I think my old s-10 could have done the same thing. Once you get a load moving it's easy to do. Now if they had left it in the woods and pulled it out of the underbrush that would have been a better test.
leaddog

Funny, I was thinking the same thing....I think ny 2002 Subaru Forester and 05 Honda Odyssey would have also pulled that log no problem :)

TX-L said:
I don't mean this to be a Ford bash, or hate them, these are just my own experiences.

I drove Ford trucks throughout the late 1980s and 1990s -- they were all poor in quallity and reliability. I moved on to Toyota after my last Ford truck (a Powerstroke diesel, lots of power WHEN it was running), and have never looked back. I have had less problems with my old clunker 1983 Toyota 4x4 over the entire course of ownership than just a couple of years with every one of the 90s era F-series I owned (4 of 'em). I hope Ford has improved over the last 15 years; based on my own experiences they really needed to.

Quite understandable. No manufacturer makes a vehicle that lasts forever, and in my experience in the 80's they all had plenty of problems Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota. The nice thing about the 80's Fords (and I assume others as well) was there wasnt hardly anything that could go wrong that I couldnt fix in an afternoon. I still have a beat up 78 Bronco that is a junkyard frankenstien truck (put together before I bought it) and for the 10+ years I've had it I havent fixed anything except for the U joints the old torque monster 400 keeps spitting out.

I might take some heat from both sides saying this but I think the Fords of the 80's were fairly cheap... that was one reason they sold so well. But simple, low frills, tough, and cheap was popular then. You could get the classic regular cab long bed with the staight 6 and handshacker at any corner lot for cheap and it could do just about anything you want it. I think they have steadily improved with each model since, and now are one of the best and also no longer cheap. Some folks want simple and cheap, some want top of the line and pay for it. Neither is right or wrong, and I think Ford has done both over the years. The full MSRP of my truck was like $36k and its an XL (base model) and doesnt even have power windows or door locks (I custom ordered it that way - only put my money into the mechanical features and not creature comforts). But I am very pleased so far with the truck, the quality is superb, and I plan on keeping it for its life so time will tell.

And for the record I think all the major brands are currently producing good trucks, I just had personal preference for certain features and styling the fords have. I didnt need the F350 for towing 10-20k lbs which is were they really shine.

I owned a 1988 f-250 with the 300 straight 6 5-speed 4+4. Best truck I ever owned for my needs at the time. 21 yrs old and bought it new. Did allot of back country fishing and camping. 410,000 Kms and sold it for a new POS injector glow plug problematic flywheel through the bell housing 1995 f-350 Diesel. Hence my 97 Cummins. It all varies with a persons needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.