Found A Lopi on E-bay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful there.. you could be bidding against a board member here. Good luck. LOL

There are a couple threads on here regarding the older Lopi's, and that's what that one is. Apparently pretty good stoves but not to be confused with the more recent EPA versions. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

ETA!! - I stand corrected, this appears to be an early listed EPA model? It is listed if it's the ones on the list below, which I think it must be!. (though if it's really from the 80s etc it still won't be the same as the current models) In that case, it's certainly worth more than a smoke dragon since it also looks like it's in great shape or has been restored well. Seems like older EPA stoves can go for 500$ - 800$ or so from what I have seen if they are listed. I sold a nice EPA Englander for $500 in like 5 minutes on CL, and I would think a Lopi would do better than that.

http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Travis Industries, Inc Lopi Flawless Performance 380, 440 7.00 6900-48700 63 Non Catalytic
Travis Industries, Inc. Lopi Endeavor, Lopi Revere , Lopi Republic 1750, 1.94 9300-42200 63 Non Catalytic
Travis Industries, Inc. Avalon Spokane 1750 380-NT & X-NT

tickbitty said:
There are a couple threads on here regarding the older Lopi's, and that's what that one is. Apparently pretty good stoves but not to be confused with the more recent EPA versions. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

ETA!! - I stand corrected, this appears to be an early listed EPA model? It is listed if it's the ones on the list below, which I think it must be!. (though if it's really from the 80s etc it still won't be the same as the current models) In that case, it's certainly worth more than a smoke dragon since it also looks like it's in great shape or has been restored well. Seems like older EPA stoves can go for 500$ - 800$ or so from what I have seen if they are listed. I sold a nice EPA Englander for $500 in like 5 minutes on CL, and I would think a Lopi would do better than that.

http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Travis Industries, Inc Lopi Flawless Performance 380, 440 7.00 6900-48700 63 Non Catalytic
Travis Industries, Inc. Lopi Endeavor, Lopi Revere , Lopi Republic 1750, 1.94 9300-42200 63 Non Catalytic
Travis Industries, Inc. Avalon Spokane 1750 380-NT & X-NT

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. If the model is listed, then it's listed right? Or did they change things within a model number over time?

It looks like a nice stove.
Ask the seller what his reserve price is. That may give you an idea how high you should bid, or not bid at all.

The Lopi M380 is a early 80's pre-EPA stove. It is not on the EPA certified list. It was the twin sister of the M520. Brick baffle, no secondary combustion system.

I'd hold out for an EPA certified stove that has secondary combustion. You'd never regret it.

"Listed" and "EPA Certified" are two different things. "Listed" means a UL (safety) approval. "EPA Certified" means approved from an emissions standpoint. "Listed" predates "EPA Certified". This stove is very likely "Listed", but not "EPA Certified". Ask the seller to either post a close-up pic of the manufacturer's label on the back of the stove, or to quote exactly verbatim the information on that label. This is probably a very capable stove, but I think it's pre-EPA, so there are some places where a permit for installation would never be granted. Rick

That Lopi was sort of a "transition" model...built while the industry was beginning to understand and try to incorporate secondary combustion and facing the imminent stricter EPA standards. It has a rudimentary "secondary combustion" capability...but nothing compared to its more modern offspring. (Emphasis on "rudimentary"). The M520 was a contemporary design with a bit more sophisticated secondary combustion capability. Rick

I checked the pics and one thing glared at me, wondering if it bothers others. The door gasket doesn't look right. It seems to me oversized and provides no sealing at the door mating side.It could be the pics, and I am not familiar with this stove, but it looks like it has been rehabbed, but not with proper burning in mind.

So then what were the 380 stoves on the certified list? (linked and pasted above)
Was there a model 380 that came later, that is on that list? Didn't expect it to be on there, but there is a Lopi model 380 on the certified list. Whether it's that one, I don't know...

tickbitty said:
So then what were the 380 stoves on the certified list? (linked and pasted above)
Was there a model 380 that came later, that is on that list? Didn't expect it to be on there, but there is a Lopi model 380 on the certified list. Whether it's that one, I don't know...

That's why you need to know exactly what the tag on the back of the stove says. This particular stove might be certified, or it might not be. Seems the model number stayed the same through a number of design iterations, right during the time when EPA certification came into being. If it has a serial number, that might be the Rosetta Stone. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.