Found standalone parlor stove in basement room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tirastove

Feb 1, 2020
Bay Area, CA
In this foreclosure shack I found this fireplace in the downstairs room. Looks like a parlor stove, but I'm a no expert.
Anyone know what era is it from and potential maker/model? Sorry don't know who else to ask.

Attachments

• stove-Ave7-e1580422175354-768x1024.jpeg
    stove-Ave7-e1580422175354-768x1024.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 258
It's a beauty, the copper backplate is a nice compliment. I'm guessing from the later part of the 19th century. Looks a bit like a Jewett fancy base burner. If you can go back there I think closer inspection will reveal the manufacturer on a side door plate or elsewhere.

10_03_001779a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TWilk117
It also appears to be a coal stove for what that is worth to you.

This is in California, the land of smokeless EPA stoves, allowing the sale of a home with an unlisted (smokeless) coal burning stove?? Perhaps it's not connected to a chimney and has been decommissioned?

We can't even insure that in Pennsyltucky!

Last edited:
Reactions: Riddlefiddle
Could be just for show and not for go.

This is in California, the land of smokeless EPA stoves, allowing the sale of a home with an unlisted (smokeless) coal burning stove?? Perhaps it's not connected to a chimney and has been decommissioned?

We can't even insure that in Pennsyltucky!
My guess is that it is not hooked up. That could be sold as an antique in CA. And yes there are tons of insurance companies that would write a policy for a stove like that in pa assuming it is installed properly

Reactions: SpaceBus
Copper stove pipe is a classy touch.

Reactions: bholler
Wow! Wonder why someone risking foreclosure would not secure that somewhere.

Tirastove,
Glad you shared the photo of it.
Did you buy the house?

There are shops that recondition and sell old stoves. They probably could id. and old stove quickly.