FPX 44 Elite Touch up paint???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefner413

Jan 24, 2016
WV
I have the "plain" black FPX 44 Elite. I have an area on the edge of the front door that they must not have painted well and it is bare, showing the silver metal beneath. I wanted to but some touch up paint, but wasn't sure if I need FLAT or SATIN??? Any idea?

FYI - and the unite came with a small can of touch up paint. It is glossy of course! Awesome.

I'm looking at these two options on Amazon:
Flat:
http://www.amazon.com/MEECOS-RED-DEVIL-403-Hi-Temp/dp/B001M58XEM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453660119&sr=8-1&keywords=MEECO'S+RED+DEVIL+403+Hi-Temp+Grill+and+Stove,+Black

Or

Satin:
http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-1200-Degree-Brush--Stove-Paint/dp/B000Y4MSPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453660163&sr=1-1&keywords=Rutland+1200-Degree+F+Brush-On+Flat+Stove+Paint,+16+Fluid+Ounce,+Black

It was originally painted with Stove Bright Metallic Black. When you get the paint, be sure to clear it out on something you don't care about. Some clear goo will come out before paint.

It was originally painted with Stove Bright Metallic Black. When you get the paint, be sure to clear it out on something you don't care about. Some clear goo will come out before paint.
Thanks for your quick reply. The unit came with a can of touch up stove bright acetone cut metallic black. When I used this, it dried glossy and the stove is definitely flat or satin. Maybe I didn't shake the can enough?

You can't really just touch a spot up on a used stove, the heat dulls the paint over time. You will need to do a larger area and blend it in. It was most definitely metallic originally.

You can't really just touch a spot up on a used stove, the heat dulls the paint over time. You will need to do a larger area and blend it in. It was most definitely metallic originally.
Thanks, but it's only 2 weeks old. We just had it installed. Why would they include a can of touch up paint if you can't touch up?

Thanks, but it's only 2 weeks old. We just had it installed. Why would they include a can of touch up paint if you can't touch up?
It can be touched up obviously..
You just can't make a small shot of it look good without blending it into the surrounding area. It's metallic black from stove bright, wether you want to believe me or not.

I really do appreciate your help. I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I'm just wanting to make these new doors look ok. The paint definitely sprayed a very glossy finish and the doors are flat. I've done a lot of touch up work and definitely understand that there is a difficulty with blending new paint over old or factory finish. But my concern is the touch up paint that came with it is so glossy. The touch up spray can even has a glossy cap (vs a dull cap for the satin or flat paints). But again, thanks for your help. I'll probably just call my installer and/or the manufacturer to help see what the issue is.

I really do appreciate your help. I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I'm just wanting to make these new doors look ok. The paint definitely sprayed a very glossy finish and the doors are flat. I've done a lot of touch up work and definitely understand that there is a difficulty with blending new paint over old or factory finish. But my concern is the touch up paint that came with it is so glossy. The touch up spray can even has a glossy cap (vs a dull cap for the satin or flat paints). But again, thanks for your help. I'll probably just call my installer and/or the manufacturer to help see what the issue is.
Did you clear the nozzle before spraying it on the doors? A clear catalyst comes out first. The paint cans always have more glitter than the factory finish. Just mask it off and paint the door frames, we always do this as part of the install. After the house is done we come back to "fire it up".
The cap has nothing to do with the color. It's just a freebie can of paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.