Framing my Quadrafire 7100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I am planning on starting the framing on my Quadrafire 7100 today. Looks like it says in one place in the mantel that non combustible material needs to be used above fireplace to the ceiling.Then it refers in another spot 2x4 framing. I was planning on using wood 2x4 with concrete board covering everything. Is this ok or do I need to build it with something else? You guys got any pictures of yours when you constructed yours? Looking for some ideas on how to do the frond extension in front of the doors. Planning on putting up cultured stone when done.

[quote="ymurf, post: 1310087, member: 20961"]I am planning on starting the framing on my Quadrafire 7100 today. Looks like it says in one place in the mantel that non combustible material needs to be used above fireplace to the ceiling.Then it refers in another spot 2x4 framing. I was planning on using wood 2x4 with concrete board covering everything. Is this ok or do I need to build it with something else? You guys got any pictures of yours when you constructed yours? Looking for some ideas on how to do the frond extension in front of the doors. Planning on putting up cultured stone when done.[/quote]

The manual cites for "REDUCED MANTEL HEIGHT:"
Non-combustible mantel material minimum height from
base of fireplace to underside of mantel 46 in. (1168mm)
when the following enclosure construction materials are
used:

Non-combustible framing materials must be used above
fireplace to height of 84 in. (2134mm) or to the ceiling
from base of fireplace for all construction materials,
framing members, sheeting, and all finish materials.

If you reduce the mantel height from 60" to 46" you MUST use non-combustibles above the unit...That means no lumber. Use 2x4 steel studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.