1. JayLii

JayLii
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2017
    Loc:
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey everyone.

I am looking for some feedback on my installation of a Supreme Volcano Plus fireplace insert. It ships with their new Circulating Chamber (see attachment) which is essentially a metal surround you are meant to fasten into your masonry.

What I am hoping to do is build out 12" from my wall to accommodate built bookshelves on either side. This of course brings the insert that far away from my existing fireplace and chimney. I will probably have to take a couple bricks out to allow the flex liner to run on a desired angle up into the exterior chimney.

I will still be installing a fixing plate to seal the chimney, but my concern lies around the part of the firebox that will not be surrounded by brick. My first thought is to frame out a new wall 12" from the old one and the existing fireplace opening using metal studs around the fire area and fire-rated cement board, fasten the new circulating chamber to the metal studs.

Do I need to close in the area above (horizontal) the circulating chamber/insert with a couple layers of cement board and run that right into the brick? I could leave a gap for some roxul in there too. I don't want a lot of heat being transferred above the chamber because there will be a mantel going up and above that most likely a TV. (with clearances in mind) The volcano plus does have a couple blowers in it as well.

I haven't come across anyone installing a wood burning insert in anything but completely setback in a masonry fireplace. Is what I want to do even safe with this wood insert?

Manual is here if you are interested:
    http://www.supremem.com/docs/Volcano%20Plus%20manual%20(english)%20Modified.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts!
    James

Attached Files:

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The constraining factor for the insert is the side clearances. According to the manual this appears to be 9" for side combustibles <2". For >2" this becomes 10.5". Wood framing behind cement board does not qualify for any clearance reduction. I'd keep the insert in the fireplace and start the side book cases 11-12" away from the insert.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 8.40.05 AM.png

3. JayLii

JayLii
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2017
    Loc:
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey thanks for the reply @begreen.

Yes the side clearances will determine the width of the fireplace build out. I really don't want the fireplace to sit in behind the bookshelves I think that looks weird.

If I use steel framing I think it should be fine, no?

So what you're saying is that there isn't any way to lower the the clearance distances by use of fire resistant materials?

The fireplace insert will be showing up this week hopefully so I'll be able to post some pictures and have a clearer post beyond the introduction.

James

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There is no tested clearance reduction guidance for this particular application that I know of. As far as I can see the circulating chamber is meant only to be used in the fireplace. Might be able to fake it with metal studded and cement board cladding, but that would take getting written permission from Supreme and the local inspector, which I would not expect because it's untested, but give them a call. The clearance to the nearest combustible would still be 10.5" Given the venting hassle it may not be worth it.

It's not uncommon for the side book cases or cabinetry to project out past the fireplace. There are lots of examples.

dc2ef8191a9787c6e5cca02b11f46f75.jpg bookcases-for-either-side-of-fireplace-fireplace-surrounded.jpg f47f7d9b896b8a6c142e9bff934e59cc.jpg imgres.jpg

5. JayLii

JayLii
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2017
    Loc:
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I do like the look of some of these. Thanks for sharing them. I have adjusted my plans to use more of this style. However, I just measured the opening and the insert is still going to protrude about 8" from the current brick opening even with it sitting as far back as it can go. So I now need to build something simply out of necessity to fasten the circulating chamber and insert too just to finish it properly.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Google fireplace with bookcases and then look at the Images option. There are many pictures there for inspiration.

Any reason for this particular insert as opposed to another that might fit better?

7. JayLii

JayLii
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2017
    Loc:
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Yea it was primarily aesthetic. We wanted something pretty simple, clean and relatively modern looking.

Here is an update after work today. I'm going to put some self leveling concrete on the hearth in preparations for tiling. That is a 6"+ slab right into the crawlspace. My continued concern is around the lack of depth to fit the insert into. It requires 19.5" at the top and will be protruding out considerably. I am having a WETT inspector by tomorrow for his recommendations.

I have also picked up some furnace cement to fill the cracks and holes in the existing box.

I was pleasently surprised to see a nice mitered finished edge of red oak running perpendicular to the floor which I am going to refinish to match the rest of the floor. Going to install a marble tile that will sit flush with the floor! Not sure if I'm more excited for that or the fireplace!

Still trying to contact the shipping company for the fireplace. I've talked to them 4 times today and I can't even get an answer if it's in victoria or ontario! How hard is it to look in a warehouse for a big box??!

Attached Files:

8. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    What is the current depth? It looks to me like you took the face off of the fireplace what would the depth be if you rebuilt a new masonry face? If need be add 2 courses to get the needed depth. But it will probably be difficult to hook the liner up with that much depth till you clear the lintel.