Free Wood, ok score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
Someone 4 miles from my house cut down 12 pine trees, and is offering it for free. I know that pine is not as good as hardwoods, and I am stocking up on oak, but 40 minute round trip for approx 3/4 cord is not bad. All the wood was already cut, I just pulled up, picked what I wanted and loaded. Did not over load the trailer since I may back. I wil but the pine when it is not that cold outside.

Attachments

• wood (600 x 400).jpg
    wood (600 x 400).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 344
Nothing wrong with Pine, I burn it every day. It's fuel. Just make sure (as I'm sure you will) that you split it, stack it, and give it a year or two to season. I lived in Northern VA for 12 years...I know it can be a challenging environment. The humidity and the tendency for the jungle, vines, fungus, whatever to grow on everything outside makes storing and seasoning firewood an interesting task. In a year or two, this free wood will be helping keep you toasty warm. Rick

Hey anytime you can get free wood...that's a good score...especially so if you don't have to cut it. You say you've burned pine before so you know it's characteristics if I were you I'd motor back to that site and get the rest of it too.

I cut down a large white pine and saved it with hopes of having it sawed into lumber. Now that I have a splitter
I am going to split it up and burn it. I already split up one piece I had cut into a round and it looks good, burns
good, and will make good starting logs or even ones to burn when I don't need a long fire.

Like someone else said, get the rest of it if you have a place to store it.

Not sure if I want to get it all, there is like 5-6 cords there. No one around here wants pine. I have a tree guy that will bring me free wood when he cuts it, and I have told him when ever he has red or white oak to bring it over. I do have to cut that and most of it is big pieces. This summer I hope to get 3 - 4 years of wood split and put into a wood shed this fall. I have about 2 cords left from last summer for the upcoming year. I am hoping to replace my old stove with a Woodstock Fireview this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.