Free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
Can't go wrong with some free wood that I picked up from the side of the road I just wish it wasn't raining so I could split it with my x27 what a good work out for 2 hours

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 167
The price was right.....heck, by the title of the post, I thought you were giving away free wood<>

Reactions: ScotO
The price was right.....heck, by the title of the post, I thought you were giving away free wood<>
This is my drug I could do this everyday. I enjoy splitting by hand. Check with your local tree companies. I just started making some cold calls to a few and 1 out 5 will drop some logs off at your home instead of paying a few bucks to dump it

power line maintenance all the way home from work this afternoon......piles and PILES of it on the roadside, all free for the taking! We've got plans tonight, so I'm gonna miss out on that free wood! It'll be gone by tomorrow morning.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
power line maintenance all the way home from work this afternoon......piles and PILES of it on the roadside, all free for the taking! We've got plans tonight, so I'm gonna miss out on that free wood! It'll be gone by tomorrow morning.....
Hopefully it's there tomorrow. Good luck and enjoy your night . Wake up early tomorrow and see if its still there

Can't go wrong with some free wood that I picked up from the side of the road I just wish it wasn't raining so I could split it with my x27 what a good work out for 2 hours

That's a nice little pile. You and I are kinda close. We may have to set up territorial boundaries. Or maybe work together?

No, don't choose to work with Steve. He'll kill you. That guy is an bull when it comes to putting up firewood!

Reactions: NYLife
That's a nice little pile. You and I are kinda close. We may have to set up territorial boundaries. Or maybe work together?
I wish the rain would of stopped today so at least I could of tried to split a few more piles. I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow after work. It's great getting a good work out at the same time. I should have at least 4 cords c/s/s by next year or maybe more. I have to go look at some next week down in pleasantville that my parents neighbor wants to get rid of cant wait

No, don't choose to work with Steve. He'll kill you. That guy is an bull when it comes to putting up firewood!

I can play nice of need be. Its just that NYLife is dangerously close to me. I can usually spot roadside scrounges in my area and come back months or even years later or them. If he stays around here, he's gonna feel a need to start hording. If that happens, I might have some competition. :eek:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I can play nice of need be. Its just that NYLife is dangerously close to me. I can usually spot roadside scrounges in my area and come back months or even years later or them. If he stays around here, he's gonna feel a need to start hording. If that happens, I might have some competition. :eek:
You don't have to worry about me for now lmao. When I get my pick up next year you might have to worry lol just kidding. Do you ever come to my neck of the woods? I found some nice logs on bear mountain pkwy last week and when I went back to get the other load it was gone. Did you happen to get that pile?

You don't have to worry about me for now lmao. When I get my pick up next year you might have to worry lol just kidding. Do you ever come to my neck of the woods? I found some nice logs on bear mountain pkwy last week and when I went back to get the other load it was gone. Did you happen to get that pile?

Wasn't me. I actually haven't brought any wood to my place since January 1st. My 1/4 acre is full for now. I'll be getting back into it in the next week or so. I've got my eye on 2 or 3 cords of Black Locust, Red Oak and, I think some kind of Hickory within 1/2 mile of my place. I'll stay out of your area for a while.

Wasn't me. I actually haven't brought any wood to my place since January 1st. My 1/4 acre is full for now. I'll be getting back into it in the next week or so. I've got my eye on 2 or 3 cords of Black Locust, Red Oak and, I think some kind of Hickory within 1/2 mile of my place. I'll stay out of your area for a while.
Oh ok. Good for you. I think I will be more addicted once I get the pickup. It will make it easier to load more and plus I will keep the saw in it as well. What kind of wood gives off the most heat? How many cords do you have right now

I've got 13+ cords now. I burn about 4 per real winter, only about 2 1/2 last year. A mild winter and the storms last fall made it very easy for me to get a 3 year supply together. It is an addiction, but somebody has to pick up all that wood left around.

I've got 13+ cords now. I burn about 4 per real winter, only about 2 1/2 last year. A mild winter and the storms last fall made it very easy for me to get a 3 year supply together. It is an addiction, but somebody has to pick up all that wood left around.
Wow that's a nice pile. Do you have a big shed? Last winter we were lucky. I can't to get my stove installed next week. I got tired of those oil bills. I guess you and I will pick up all the wood that's left around

Nice!

Reactions: NYLife
No shed. Its all along one property line. I keep about 1/3 cord on the covered front porch during the heating season. I throw a tarp over the next few feet of the outside stack when snow is forecast.

No shed. Its all along one property line. I keep about 1/3 cord on the covered front porch during the heating season. I throw a tarp over the next few feet of the outside stack when snow is forecast.
Ok I'm gonna work on building a pallet shed. I go to the lumber place and pick up 3 pallets a week . I like keeping the wood off the grass

I have a nearly endless supply of pallets at the two nurseries near me. I can hook you up if you want. Just keep you hands off the firewood when over this way. :) I stack three rows deep and about 4'-5' high on just under 100' of pallets. Makes a nice fence.

I have a nearly endless supply of pallets at the two nurseries near me. I can hook you up if you want. Just keep you hands off the firewood when over this way. :) I stack three rows deep and about 4'-5' high on just under 100' of pallets. Makes a nice fence.
Thanks pal . I could get as many as I like but my outback only fits 3 can't wait to get this pick up it will come in handy for a lot of things.

Nice to have a truck... or two.

::-) 5+ cord of Red Oak, Maple, Cherry, and a little Beach from Power company trimming.

What kind of wood gives off the most heat?
I've got my eye on 2 or 3 cords of Black Locust, Red Oak and, I think some kind of Hickory
Steve, if NYLife is going to be scrounging in your area, maybe you should have said you were going after some Poplar, Pine and Crottonwood. ;lol

Here ya go, NY. I also like to have lower-BTU wood on hand for shorter fires when it's not too cold out, or during the day when I'm around to feed the stove more often, and for faster start-ups. The medium-heat woods come in very handy.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-combustion-heat-d_372.html
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/AE_wood_heat_value_BTU.html

Status
Not open for further replies.