Freebie MS290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
Got this from work, used and abused, currently not running but not locked up either. Small tool shop was going to toss it in the dumpster, I figured it will give me something to tinker with over the winter when I get some time. If nothing else I'll have some parts for sale haha! As you can see, some of our employees are pretty hard on equipment
image.jpeg

Good saw to rehab. Not hard to work on and AM parts are cheap. If it needs top end - you can make it an MS390.

Reactions: D8Chumley
And the price was right! My buddy just offered me $75 for it, if he is serious it's gone haha

$75 and no effort is good. If you rehab saw, dress and paint bar, sharpen chain - you might get $250. Put the "Legendary Farm Boss" in the ad and people drool.

That's a great point. Maybe put " Pro" in the CL add, might get more lol

Well, the pro word would be a stretch. It's a clamshell engine sitting in a plastic chassis. But tree service pros have used it, so no CL SWAT team will swoop in. LOL

Yeah I'm well aware of this, but ol Dave keeps posting his saws around here as "Pro" models. This one was deleted but I had a screenshot of it haha
image.png

He had an 025 Pro saw for sale for a bit too. I emailed him after seeing it reposted and informed him an 025 was not a pro saw, he pretty much told me to eff off in a nice way :)

Creative advertising or lying. Take your pick. LOL. But the average homeowner looking to buy a Stihl won't know the difference. I sold an 025 for $190 (Was amazed it went for that). I said it was better than an MS250 because 1. it had better fuel and oil caps (not flippy). 2. 1 fuel line (not 6 hoses for just the purge system). LOL

That's a fair price around here, I just sold my 025 to a co-worker/buddy for $200 with 2 good spare chains. We were both happy with the price

Finally got to play with this today since I'm off the next few days. Put a new plug in it, pulled the bar and air filter off, gave it a few pulls and it fired up in a cloud of smoke with the who-knows how old gas in it :) I'm pretty happy, so I proceed to soak it with LA Awesome degreaser from the dollar store and clean it up a bit. Dumped the old gas and dropped the chain in my waste oil pan to see if it frees up. It's pretty rusty and if it works it will need a good sharpening. If not I have to go get a new air and fuel filter anyway and a flippy gas cap and I will pick up a new chain- thinking about just scrapping the 20" bar and getting an 18" anyway. Happy New Years everyone, be safe!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.