From a rookie, Don't Lose Heart(h)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yousmellsmoke?

Jan 8, 2019
Harrisburg, IL
This may not be worthy of a new thread, but I wanted to offer some encouragement to anyone having newfound problems with their woodburner.
Mine was working just fine up until a few weeks ago. Then, overnight, I started having smoke back-up and draw problems. I thought I must have plugged up the chimney.
I started looking around the internet for information, and found this forum. I read the FAQs on typical problems.
The only thing that made sense was the information about how unseasonably warm weather can affect your draw. I had a hard time accepting that, as it seemed too technical, but none of the other info seemed to apply.
(I checked the chimney, baffle, etc., all were reasonably clean and/or undamaged.) This is my first full year using the woodburner, so I have not had much experience with weather changes and draw.
I tried the woodburner again when it was colder out, made sure to warm up the flue a bit at first, and everything worked just fine!
So, I want to assure those of you who are having problems that the information you find here is accurate and helpful, and will help you out eventually!
I was of the mind-set of "How hard can it be to start a fire?" Turns out, it is trickier than I thought!
Thanks to all for their posts! I am happy to admit I learned a lot here and hope to continue learning.

A wealth of knowledge here for sure...