From whither, smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schweinhundert

Hearth Supporter
Sep 5, 2010
urantia
I've got a brand new morso badger stove with excel double-walled pipe and I'm getting a whiff of smoke coming out somewhere when it's well burned down and/or smoldering. Not enough to kill me, so far, but a bit annoying.
As far as I can tell, the only possiblities for a leaky spot are the stove itself somewhere (intake I suppose) or the connection of my stovepipe and the collar on the stove. (see pic)
The stovepipe is corrugated where it sits over the collar (the piece they gave me to connect was bizarre and useless, so this is all I could do) and it sits 3/4" or a bit more over the collar. It's pretty snug, but I wonder if the corrugation might be letting the smoke out a bit when the draft is weak.
I do have double walled all the way, and it's 15 feet of pipe, so draft is excellent in general.
I guess I could try filling it in with hi temp cement, but I want to get some opinions before making that mess.

Or have you ever known a stove to leak backwards from its intake under a weak draft/smoldering condition?

Thanks for any insight.

schweinhundert said:
I've got a brand new morso badger stove with excel double-walled pipe and I'm getting a whiff of smoke coming out somewhere when it's well burned down and/or smoldering. Not enough to kill me, so far, but a bit annoying.
As far as I can tell, the only possiblities for a leaky spot are the stove itself somewhere (intake I suppose) or the connection of my stovepipe and the collar on the stove. (see pic)
The stovepipe is corrugated where it sits over the collar (the piece they gave me to connect was bizarre and useless, so this is all I could do) and it sits 3/4" or a bit more over the collar. It's pretty snug, but I wonder if the corrugation might be letting the smoke out a bit when the draft is weak.
I do have double walled all the way, and it's 15 feet of pipe, so draft is excellent in general.
I guess I could try filling it in with hi temp cement, but I want to get some opinions before making that mess.

Or have you ever known a stove to leak backwards from its intake under a weak draft/smoldering condition?

Thanks for any insight.

Sounds like a problem with the house's ventilation. Such as:
a. significant air leak in attic with an otherwise "tight" house, or
b. furnace firing up in "tight" house, or
c. fireplace running hot and wide-open.

For starters. A couple of tiny leaks in the smokepipe would not be suspect, IMHO.

Is it possible that you are getting outside air infiltration back into the house. Maybe through a drafty window or door.

This very thing reminded me to pack my sliding door. Was sitting in the chair, caught a whiff of smoke smell, yup, coming in through the sliding door (this was on startup, on a slight temp inversion day, so the stack was still puffing a bit of smoke and it was coming around a corner of the house instead of rising like normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.