Frustrated! You can't fix stupid I guess, but still.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is that the neighborhood is too crowded to allow it to become a party haven or a drug hangout. There are some obnoxiously ugly shrubs and bushes on the property line however that I will just "have" to do something about.

The good news is that the neighborhood is too crowded to allow it to become a party haven or a drug hangout. There are some obnoxiously ugly shrubs and bushes on the property line however that I will just "have" to do something about.

maybe, or maybe SINCE its so crowded, it will be a magnet for folks to do their illicit dealing of all kinds being the prying eyes of the neighborhood......sex, drugs, homeless.....takes a bit for the "word to get out".......:eek:

Thanks Jenni!

My wife has done some checking (she runs a private kennel, boards and trains all types of dogs) and short of chaining him to a shelters front door, there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Pets alive sounds familiar, we are in Pine Bush, just outside of the Middletown NY area.

The only other place I've been able to find up there, other than what I already posted is the SPCA in Middletown. http://www.middletownhumanesociety.com/
They are pretty much a no kill shelter and have a big pool of foster volunteers. They also participate in a program (I forget the name) that is working to change the sterotypes about pit bulls.
Please let me know how you make out, as an animal lover, I hope he finds a loving home instead of a lonley kennel. I know he has "basic" needs but human companionship is important too :)

But dogs are not livestock, they are pack animals that are not content to live a solitary, confined existence. They need a pack to lead/follow be it human or canine. His living situation may not be considered cruel by legal standards but this animal is miserable I can assure you of that.

The more I learn about dogs the more I find that isolation alone constitutes cruelty to them.
Dogs have evolved as companion animals and denying them companionship may be worse than denying them food.
My continued observation of how humans treat these animals, who's primary goal is to please us, tears me apart inside.

Just an update, the local dog warden picked up Buddy thurs am. We were forced to make that call once we had discovered that the homeowner had left for good. All of the local shelters were eager to suggest other places for Buddy once they learned he was a Pit Bull. If Buddy does well, he stands a good chance of being put up for adoption. He certainly is not afraid of strangers and was more than eager to go with me and hop in the wardens SUV.

Good luck friend.

Just an update, the local dog warden picked up Buddy thurs am. We were forced to make that call once we had discovered that the homeowner had left for good. All of the local shelters were eager to suggest other places for Buddy once they learned he was a Pit Bull. If Buddy does well, he stands a good chance of being put up for adoption. He certainly is not afraid of strangers and was more than eager to go with me and hop in the wardens SUV.

Good luck friend.
Figures, they just left him :mad: :rolleyes:
I have apartment buildings behind me ,some people just move, and leave their cats to roam the woods, I have one now ,sweet little cat ,I am trying to get to a shelter .
I called them all and I keep checking back ,Full, No Room <>

I rescued a stray cat last year. She is an older cat. Nothing but skin and bone, deaf, only a patches of hair left. Infested with fleas, wobbled side to side when she came into my yard. She came up to me crying, desperate and starving. I fed her. She ate and ate. She didn't leave. I did shut her in the kennel at night fearful she would get eaten. I called the shelter. They said they would take her, but it was questionable if they would invest the time and effort to bring her back to good health. So I treated her for the fleas, then took her to the vet. She needed medication to get rid of the scabs. Three months later, much of her hair was grown back. I allowed her in. She never goes near the door to go out. It has been a year and she is still here.
I also have two labs that this little 8 pound cat keeps in their place. I didn't want this cat, but she is here now!

Yup. Cats are another one the shelters are overrun with. I wouldn't mind a cat and I'm pretty sure a cat wouldn't mind me (cat owners get that) but my wife is firm on no cat.

Two thoughts . . .

I often like pets more than people.

Ended up with Cat #6 about a week ago . . . I didn't plan on it since I think I'm close to being labeled one of those "Crazy Cat People" . . . but my wife called me at work to say there was a picture of a kitten on the local animal shelter's website that looked very similar to my beloved Theodore Roosevelt who went MIA a couple years ago (and I will admit I was pretty depressed . . . still am . . . to lose him) . . . add in the fact that this kitten has been at the shelter for several months and had just been put into the $5 cage and I figured it was meant to be (I mean how can you turn down a kitten for $5 with shots, neutered, etc. -- although I gave them $50). So far we're loving Franklin D. Roosevelt (aka "Frankie.")

Good luck friend.

Thank you for trying to save this dog. It makes me sick to my stomach that anyone could just leave an animal, any animal behind and go off to their new life. There's a place in hell for people like that but you just earned Karma points for doing the "right" thing when the owner failed to do so. There are plenty of good pits out there, I hope he finds a forever home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.