Fuel Comparison Calculator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
I thought I had seen a link for a fuel cost comparison calculator on this site?

thats not the one. I once was using one where you would plug in how many gallons of oil you use and it would tell you about how many cord of wood that was

ok, so I just Googles and found that the "Smither's" method says that 150gallons of #2 fuel oil is equivelant to approximatly 1 cord of dry hardwood. Sound about right?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
thats not the one. I once was using one where you would plug in how many gallons of oil you use and it would tell you about how many cord of wood that was

imo that's not a good comparison cause the average Joe keeps his thermostat down to manage costs. Once you start burning wood and get use to runnings around the house in T shirts & shorts when it's 0* out you can throw those guesstimates out the window...but I suppose as a rough estimate they're useful.

just curious cause the first year I was in my house we used over 1000 gallons of oil and that would have been over 6 cord of wood. I burn 4 cord now

A lot of it has to do with space heating vs central heating and the BTU content of the different woods... not to mention the efficiency of your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.