Fully loaded baby trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
Took a break from work to stack some of the red oak I split for my parents.

2013-02-26_13-52-08_305 (Medium).jpg

Not sure how much weight that trailer is rated for, but I'm pretty sure it was probably exceeded with that green red oak.

Attachments

• 2013-02-26_13-52-08_305.jpg
    2013-02-26_13-52-08_305.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 155
Those ATV trailers are pretty stout. You are probably good for 1,000 lbs, if not more. That load is no where near that.

I have an Ohio Steel trailer that is rated for 1,200lbs...can't overload it with firewood.

Reactions: Shane N
Those ATV trailers are pretty stout. You are probably good for 1,000 lbs, if not more. That load is no where near that.

I have an Ohio Steel trailer that is rated for 1,200lbs...can't overload it with firewood.

Nice. I looked it up and you are right. 1,200lbs for this one too. Good to know! Seemed really wobbly with the weight I had in it.

Nice work!

Nice. I looked it up and you are right. 1,200lbs for this one too. Good to know! Seemed really wobbly with the weight I had in it.
I've got the same one. I often load it like that, then run a ratchet strap over the top, front to back. I use a rubber bungee to minimize the need for adjustment. Just gotta watch it on uneven ground. I wondered if it could flip the quad if it tipped over, but I had a load that was heavy in the back, and the hitch popped off the ball so I assume the same thing would happen if the trailer tipped over. I don't want to test that theory, though.

Wet White Oak, not a particularly huge load.
003-11.jpg

Reactions: Shane N and ScotO
I wondered if it could flip the quad if it tipped over
Very doubtful that the trailer tongue or your atv hitch has the strength to roll your quad unless you were already precariously on a steep slant.

Man, I gotta get one of them thangs fur my 'bota 2660! How much cabbage that dude set ya back???

It is wobbly because it has a high center of gravity with the wood stacked so high. The entire reason sports cars are low to the ground and handle well and trucks don't.

Took a break from work to stack some of the red oak I split for my parents.

View attachment 95096

Not sure how much weight that trailer is rated for, but I'm pretty sure it was probably exceeded with that green red oak.
Don't fret you're nowhere near the max capacity of that trailer,I run a $200.00 Rubbermade trailer rated for max of 700# and have loaded it over that hundreds of times forget about it nuttin to worry about.

Some good trailer ideas floating around here.....pretty dang handy I'd imagine.

Good work Shane. Keep those BTUs a coming.

Someday I'll buy a trailer, but bigger than this one. It is a bit too small IMO.
One thing I like about it is that it's the same width as the quad. Good for getting through the woods when it gets tight.

Looks like you lost a lot of snow Shane. Good that you are able to be out putting up wood again.

Looks like you lost a lot of snow Shane. Good that you are able to be out putting up wood again.

That area that you can see is all plowed clear. I measured it yesterday and we were at 24". So between settling and a little bit of melting, we lost ~6" in the last week. I wish it'd melt faster so I can get back into the woods. The heavy snow we have gotten finally took down a jack pine that has been leaning for years on the edge of the yard. Not huge at maybe 10" x 60', but it'll keep me busy for a few days.

That area that you can see is all plowed clear. I measured it yesterday and we were at 24". So between settling and a little bit of melting, we lost ~6" in the last week. I wish it'd melt faster so I can get back into the woods. The heavy snow we have gotten finally took down a jack pine that has been leaning for years on the edge of the yard. Not huge at maybe 10" x 60', but it'll keep me busy for a few days.

Piiiiiiiiiicccs. Or it didn't happen. ==c

Piiiiiiiiiicccs. Or it didn't happen. ==c

After going out to cut it up into smaller pieces, it is more like 40'. Tough to get it all in the picture when it is partially buried in the snow.

IMG_20130228_170442 (Medium).jpg

Oh, Savage, check out the left of the picture. If you look close and squint, you can see where I tried to drive my ATV out there. You can tell how the bottom of the ATV was plowing the snow and I have ~12" of clearance. Stupid deep out there still :(

Reactions: Gasifier
Ja. That will make you a couple of hot fires someday down the road. Burns good when it is nice and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.