Fun shoulder season heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
This time of year (and spring) is always interesting heating with my pellet stoves. The PP130 I have works pretty well since it will completely shut down when the thermostat is satisfied, but it is always a game with my USSC 6500 that heats the back half of the house. Temps got down in the 20's with highs in the 30s a couple weeks ago, so I fired it up. Running on the lowest pilot light setting I still had to open a window and crack the patio door a couple times on sunny days. The back family room would get up to 76*-78*.

A week later highs jumped to the 60s and I turned it off. Last night it was about 65* in the family room and the bedrooms were colder, so I lit it again. This morning I woke up to it being 87* in the family room just from the stove running on pilot light mode.

I like my ussc 6500, and after learning more about it it has worked really well for me. I just wish it had an ignitor and was able to completely shutdown when the thermostat was satisfied.

No question really, just observation........unless someone knows of an ignitor kit that would work with a USSC 6500.

Reactions: FTG-05
I've been running my stove for a couple hours in the evening, and a couple hours in the morning. Our coldest morning so far was 28 degrees, and the days have been beautiful sunshine in the 50s.

Here in PA our weather is subject to big swings every 12 hours or so. For instance yesterday was sunny and in the 60’s, this morning we wake up to 20’s and snow cover. I installed our new Blaze King Princess 32 last Saturday and I am simply AMAZED at it’s performance in the short period. Our log structure was built in 1842 and is one with nature so it can be drafty and chilly even on warm shoulder days. With our previous stove it was almost impossible to find that gentle low burn for those days and usually we would let it burn out and dawn a sweater or blanket if sitting down, to warm to fire the stove but chilly when sitting. Enter BKP32…….ran on low all day and the house was perfect….light it, set it and forget it, it literally turns the logs on and off like an appliance only NO ELECTRICITY!!

Here in PA our weather is subject to big swings every 12 hours or so. For instance yesterday was sunny and in the 60’s, this morning we wake up to 20’s and snow cover. I installed our new Blaze King Princess 32 last Saturday and I am simply AMAZED at it’s performance in the short period. Our log structure was built in 1842 and is one with nature so it can be drafty and chilly even on warm shoulder days. With our previous stove it was almost impossible to find that gentle low burn for those days and usually we would let it burn out and dawn a sweater or blanket if sitting down, to warm to fire the stove but chilly when sitting. Enter BKP32…….ran on low all day and the house was perfect….light it, set it and forget it, it literally turns the logs on and off like an appliance only NO ELECTRICITY!!
That's nice, get back to me when it can light itself and run on a thermostat.