Furnace suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah the Yukon is no longer available here...supposedly they are working on a compliant model...been hearing that for a while now though. I have the wood/oil model...not terribly impressed, its actually coming out soon...want it? ;)
The Napoleon doesn't have a great track record here on Hearth...doesn't seem to be many of them out there though, but for the ones that have reported in, feedback hasn't been great for the furnace or the company's customer service...kinda expensive too.

Kewl, thanks. I was down there laying out the kuuma and considered it. I suppose that I can move the one that I have to make it work better. I will already be altering the ductwork to get it tied in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you are considering a Kuuma, just be aware that they are usually backlogged building them...sometimes 6 months...and probably are right now for sure since their sale just ended (Friday, I think...maybe they would still do the sale price if you called tomorrow?)

Last edited:
I see that Napoleon makes one as well. The HMF 200. Know anything about those?

Kind of.
My parents had a Continental CHMF150 installed at the end of 2016 to replace a 42 year old Newmac wood / oil.
They also ditched oil completely and went with LP as the backup.

https://continentalheatingandcooling.com/products/hybrid-chmf150-furnace/

Napoleon and Continental are obviously in bed somehow. They look alike and even share the same model designations. And when you click on the red "product support" button to see documentation you go to the "mynapoleon" website.

This device is heating a 1250sq' 1970's built bungalow. No real upgrades. Original windows and doors.
My overall impression? It is awesome in every way.

3.4cu' fire box takes a 24" split.
Super easy to use. My mom is extremely comfortable using it.
Their house is warmer and they burn way less wood.
Thermostat / damper system works great.

I insisted they go with the glass door option. The dealer advised against due to heat loss. I explained that yes you will lose some heat through the glass door but that heat will now do 2 things. Heat the living room and kitchen floors from below and also dry out your wood that is stacked in the furnace room. Heat is not wasted. Just used differently.

Also, with tube technology it's nice to see what burn stage you are in without having to open the door.

They burn mainly sugar maple with some red oak and beech mixed in. Wood is 20-24%mc. Clean glass and clean chimney cap.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll do my best to answer.

Drew.

Reactions: Highbeam
Kind of.
My parents had a Continental CHMF150 installed at the end of 2016 to replace a 42 year old Newmac wood / oil.
They also ditched oil completely and went with LP as the backup.

https://continentalheatingandcooling.com/products/hybrid-chmf150-furnace/

Napoleon and Continental are obviously in bed somehow. They look alike and even share the same model designations. And when you click on the red "product support" button to see documentation you go to the "mynapoleon" website.

This device is heating a 1250sq' 1970's built bungalow. No real upgrades. Original windows and doors.
My overall impression? It is awesome in every way.

3.4cu' fire box takes a 24" split.
Super easy to use. My mom is extremely comfortable using it.
Their house is warmer and they burn way less wood.
Thermostat / damper system works great.

I insisted they go with the glass door option. The dealer advised against due to heat loss. I explained that yes you will lose some heat through the glass door but that heat will now do 2 things. Heat the living room and kitchen floors from below and also dry out your wood that is stacked in the furnace room. Heat is not wasted. Just used differently.

Also, with tube technology it's nice to see what burn stage you are in without having to open the door.

They burn mainly sugar maple with some red oak and beech mixed in. Wood is 20-24%mc. Clean glass and clean chimney cap.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll do my best to answer.

Drew.

How long of a burn do you get after loading it full.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet, just have been too busy to get it done. My local chimney company has deals fire chief furnaces. Is there any opinion on those.

Ok, I had to make some unplanned large purchases late summer. I picked up a used uS stove furnace for a couple of hundred bucks. It is pretty good shape for it’s age which is 20 plus years. Basically I am totally restoring it and probably can have it totally installed for about 700 bucks. Now I need to know how badly I screwed up not waiting and buying a newer furnace. My home is totally electric and I had some rather large heating bills last winter, close to 1k a month. This is why I really didn’t want to wait.

Some images
92e78042463ad3daf620e4fa43267a26.jpg
dd14c9351b27c69307edf9addd94b075.jpg
e088494e8ef040ca114512e0c3d5dac5.jpg
cfd7ebeea67add5d4ca62c9fce15e511.jpg
16bbaca0d4bad76b23af4d9f66fb48a5.jpg
4f27ff09fa3ed6b2f5805d9503962b8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk