Fuse Blown - St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poleyo

Jan 29, 2015
Valatie NY
My St. Croix Prescott blew its fuse, and I don’t know why. There’s no evidence of bare wires or damage to wires. I’ve unplugged the auger, versa motor, igniter, and convection fan individually and the fuse blew again each time, so I don’t think it’s those components. Doesn’t seem like I can unplug the parts on the left side (combustion fan, vacuum switch, proof of fire switch, high limit switch) and still have the stove operate long enough to blow. And I don't know if it could be a more comprehensive reason instead of an individual component (like a bad control board?).

As a semi-aside, I was testing a strong neodymium magnet on the front by the ash cleanout rod in a possibly misguided attempt to keep that rod from vibrating out (which I now have figured out was not the issue. The ash cleaner was warped upward and catching on the versa grate, which pushed it out). In any case, I thought it might have been the magnet that messed things up. But since the only thing near there is the igniter and versa grate shaft and they were exonerated, I think maybe the magnet was a red herring.

So, my question is, what is my next step? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tested the auger, igniter, comb fan and conv fan with a test cord? If they all wok out ok, somewhere in the stove cabinet or on the board you have a short to ground.

If you remove the control board and look at it closely, you may see signs of problems (burned traces, burned components, etc).

Check out my thread on recent blown fuses, etc...

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/success-board-level-repair-on-controller-complete.161482/

Thanks for the response. By test cord do you mean a 'bench test adapter'? And if so, is that to test if the components work, or something else? I think all the components 'work' in the stove (igniter lights, fans blow, etc.) until the fuse pops.

I don't have any burned parts on the control board like you had (fortunately or not). Looks remarkably brand new (its not). On some threads I've seen a multimeter used to test for ... I'm not sure, I haven't figured that out yet.