Future Cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
Not really sure where I should post this kinda off topic for this forum I suppose, but as my back yard expansion is continuing. I have decided to cut down my beloved maple in the back yard so I thought I'd give this a try and seen if I have any luck. I cut about a dozen branch tips off to see if I can get then to root in turn giving this ol tree new life. Has anyone attempted this and got good results?

Attachments

• 20200408_183510.jpg
    20200408_183510.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: JimBear
Reactions: JimBear
Wow. I was just thinking of this today.

My late parents planted many of the trees around here, but I am losing some of them to a road expansion (if I don't end up losing the house too). I always wondered if I could regrow a sibling off the parent.

Great thread.

Did you use rooting hormone? I think its Auxin if my bio background serves me correct...works great with some plants

• Haha
Reactions: kennyp2339
Hard or soft maple? I have cut sycamore limbs and drove them in the river bank to hold up catfish poles and came back several weeks later to find new leaves on them. My grandpa grew a weeping willow tree this way as well in his yard. Im Interested if it works for a hard maple.

Its been five days and the buds are all dried and dead, but the leaf's are growing! Looks promising. I'll give it another week and I'll check to see if see and roots going

Attachments

• 20200412_173659.jpg
    20200412_173659.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Grizzerbear