GALVANIZED PIPE FOR GARAGE WOODSTOVE?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danrclem

Jul 23, 2008
KY.
My brother is going to put a wood stove in his garage. He has some galvanized pipe that is the correct size for the stove. It would be ran from the stove to the triple wall that will be going through the roof.

I know that galvanized can give off toxic fumes when welding but does a wood stove ever get hot enough to do this? Is galvanized acceptable to use for his application? He doesn't mind spending the extra money for stovepipe if it makes a difference.

Danny

It's a question that should be put to the local Authority Having Jurisdiction. Depending on how they've adopted the standards in NFPA 211, there may be two show-stoppers here...a solid fuel-burning appliance in a garage, and galvanized stovepipe on a solid fuel-burning appliance. Rick

Most of the older galvanized pipe was meant to be used for forced air duct work and not stove pipe. The gauge is most likely to thin for stove pipe. .028 gauge is about the thinnest you would wish to use.

If your brother would like to have a garage and the ability to breath oxygen, I'd highly suggest against installed the stove in this manner.

Yes, the pipe can get hot enough to outgas the galv. Don't do it. Get the right stuff (not that I am suggesting that you put a wood burning appliance in a garage or anything....thats illegal.)

Is the garage detached from the home? If not it is clearly not safe. It seems others have put them in free standing garages/shops but never an attached one. Insurance companies will never cover the house and in most cases will cancel the insurance policy immediately upon finding out about this install.

Thanks for the replies. I had told him that I didn't think that it would be a good idea. I also told him that I would post the question here to get some other opinions. It looks like the consensus is that it wouldn't be a good idea.

His garage is separated from the house.

Regardless of legalities, If your bro. installs a woodstove in his garage, build a fireproof platform to sit it on so the firebox is at least 2 feet above the floor. This is (or was) the code around here. The reason is that should you spill any gas, the fumes will go to the lowest point (the floor), and the two feet of stove height may give you time to ventilate the garage before the fumes build up to stove level. I follow common sense and experience more than I pay attention to codes (scofflaw kind of a guy), and even I built a steel platform to put my stove on. It makes good sense. Keep flamables well away from the stove. I keep gas cans in my garden tool shed not in my garage. Skip the galvanized pipe, invest in the heavy gauge welded seam steel pipe. I use it in my house and garage. It will last several times longer than the thin snap seam pipe.

Wonder if my basement install is corrct then? I do have a bay door on the basement, but my stove is sitting 20" to the right of my gas hot water heater with a pilot light.. Hmmmmm..

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.