Gap between liner and stove connector (insert install)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodinsertguy

Dec 11, 2022
Maine
Hi all, with all the help from this site I just installed a new Regency wood insert. I’ve been a little unsure I did things right with one part.

I used an adjustable 90 connector with a built in hose clamp to connect the liner to my insert. But the joint between the liner and the connector isn’t totally tight, there is a gap between the liner.

It’s been burning alright and no smoke coming out as far as I can tell. I tried sealing the gap with furnace cement but by the time I decided to it was too tough to get my hands up there.

How much of a issue is this? I think it is fine due to the updraft suction, but I’m worried I’m ignorant of something.

Any tips appreciated!

1C7DA836-2CF7-4A5C-ADE6-15A2261FDC3C.jpeg

Hi all, with all the help from this site I just installed a new Regency wood insert. I’ve been a little unsure I did things right with one part.

I used an adjustable 90 connector with a built in hose clamp to connect the liner to my insert. But the joint between the liner and the connector isn’t totally tight, there is a gap between the liner.

It’s been burning alright and no smoke coming out as far as I can tell. I tried sealing the gap with furnace cement but by the time I decided to it was too tough to get my hands up there.

How much of a issue is this? I think it is fine due to the updraft suction, but I’m worried I’m ignorant of something.

Any tips appreciated!

View attachment 305010
Is that a 5.5" liner going into a 6" elbow? It doesn't look like it fits properly at all

Is that a 5.5" liner going into a 6" elbow? It doesn't look like it fits properly at all
It’s a 6” liner going into what is supposed to be a 6” elbow. At least that is what my invoice says for the part, I dot recall the exact part name but it looks something like this.

The end going into the stove fits nicely, but this liner end felt pretty loose. I managed to push it in about 3-4in and tighten the hose clamp down.

What would you do in this case? Monitor? Get fire department to check it out (are they helpful?)?

I’d really really prefer not to replace the elbow obviously as it means undoing then redoing much of the install.

Thanks for your message.

64B0F08D-011D-4417-B698-3710A7B25A02.png

Unlike the photo of the product I shared, neither end was crimped.

The stove outlet connection looks solid to me, photo attached.

At the moment I’m thinking about wrapping that loose joint with high temp stove tape. What do you think?

image.jpg

Okay an update for anyone following along.

I went to the stove shop and talked with an installer. He measured my liner and said it was actually 5.5” as I was measuring from the outside not the inside of the liner.

He said the way I did it is definitely not right but it is also probably not a big deal as long as I pushed the liner in far enough. He suggested adding as much furnace cement as possible and wrapping with metal tape. Then monitoring for bad draft or trouble starting fires.

So that’s my plan for now, if I noticed any issues I’ll redo the elbow down the line.

Thanks everyone

Okay an update for anyone following along.

I went to the stove shop and talked with an installer. He measured my liner and said it was actually 5.5” as I was measuring from the outside not the inside of the liner.

He said the way I did it is definitely not right but it is also probably not a big deal as long as I pushed the liner in far enough. He suggested adding as much furnace cement as possible and wrapping with metal tape. Then monitoring for bad draft or trouble starting fires.

So that’s my plan for now, if I noticed any issues I’ll redo the elbow down the line.

Thanks everyone
No you need the proper 5.5 to 6" adapter in there.

Or at least, do you think it is okay to use it a few times until fixing the job? Not sure what risks I am playing with here.
The problem is without the proper connection you will have air leaking in that joint causing reduced draft and cooled exhaust temps

stove cement will crack out every time you clean the liner, not good for longevity, plus it may crack with the heating / cooling of the liner since its thinner metal.

Got it, thanks folks.

Alright I decided I'm pretty tired of dealing with the install so I'm scheduling a service call to have them replace the adaptor. In the meantime it sounds like it isn't a safety risk so I'm burning until then.

Appreciate all the help from this great community :)