Garden Thread 2023!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Most of us didn’t really stop growing when winter hit…

image.jpg

Nothing wrong with "them" tomato's. My season ended a long time ago and next year I might only grow one kind of tomato plant and I am figuring that out now...clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Happy New Year, everyone. It was 55 degrees today!

Finally got the chicken run cleaned out and added new saw dust.

Started a new compost pile down at the food forest.

Cleaned the two bird feeders in the backyard and put new seed in.

Went down to the pond in the FF. The water is perfectly clear. The fish are almost stationary as they winter on the bottom in what looks like a suspended animation. Cleaned out some leaves that had blown in.

Also got Santa's sled and 8 Reindeer taken down in the front yard.

Beautiful afternoon to be outside. I know it was only mid-50's, but I didn't even wear a jacket.

It's nice to have those type of days--after the "cold blasts" one feel "warm" especially when they are working outside in the sun for awhile.. clancey

I had to run to the cabin as a pet emergency frazzled me yesterday and I forgot to winterize the bathroom. The dog had a stupid moment, got overly excited, ran out on the ice, and went through. I got him out, but was cold, wet, and wearing my 13 year olds tie dye colored crocs on my feet afterwords.

Then I got back and worked a bit on the old rental I really want to get onto the market and be done with.

I’m not sure I’d grow the tomatoes in the Aerogarden again. They aren’t quite ripening as I envisioned. I think I might try window well containers next year. It is nice to pluck off a tomato to add just a bit to dinner. Unfortunately they seem to come in 1s and 2s. Not really enough.

Most of us didn’t really stop growing when winter hit…

View attachment 306682
We planted one of these ina pot and have had it sitting in our kitchen window since last April. It's still producing!

On another note, I'm trying to plan out a food forest for our front yard and it's proving daunting lol

We planted one of these ina pot and have had it sitting in our kitchen window since last April. It's still producing!

On another note, I'm trying to plan out a food forest for our front yard and it's proving daunting lol

Yes, they produce for quite a while!

So excited to hear you are planning out a food forest. We'll be entering the third year with ours this Spring. Probably the biggest mistake I made was not planning the whole thing out, but as you said, it is very daunting, so I just dove into it. Mistakes made; some things moved, but all in all I am very pleased with the progress we have made. We have 45+ fruit trees, fruit bushes and vines, and we grew all out annual vegetables in it last year. Also, have started asparagus and this year rhubarb to begin building up perennial vegetables. I uploaded two picture collage videos to YouTube recently...one on our 2-year progress and the other on the 1600-gallon pond we built in the FF. You can click the YouTube link to the left under my profile if you are interested in taking a look. Please keep us informed of your FF progress. Nice to have another FF enthusiast, especially a beginner like me.

Well RomanW--you sure come to the right thread in regard to a FF and our expert-freeman will get you planning and his is beautiful but with a lot of work that he put into it and when I read the thread I actually get tired seeing what he is up to--lol...Right now I hope he is still in the "relaxing stage" and hoping someday he will fix the Gate--running playful dialogue with him...he knows what I am talking about--lol...I hope he has his chest wrap on to help with his broken ribs but he is just a stubborn type of person who loves to plan things so you come to the right place..Its cold here and I was going to light a fire in the wood stove but changed my mind for now..I'm a senior and just grow one or two plants a year mostly tomato's --welcome to DG"s thread...clancey

Awww Shucks hell--your gate still sticks out 10,000 feet--lol...get a slider that's compact on such a large gate or maybe a double gate that can go flush against the fence line...and not stuck out so far when it is opened...Take a picture with it flush against the fence line when it is opened and it would make it easier for you to mow and get in at the same time...just a worn out suggestion and I am not suggesting a automatic gate here--lol lol clancey

• Haha
Well, I may be finally winning the fungus gnat war! After almost 3 weeks of using Mosquito Bits and a week of using a 4 to 1 hydrogen peroxide solution, I have noticed a great reduction in fungus gnats in just the past 2 days.

Now, if the adults live for only about 7-8 days, I would have to say it has been the hydrogen peroxide that has had the most affect. It kills eggs and larvae on contact. So, if I am not seeing any increase (but a great decrease) in adults and it's been 7 days, that would lead me to believe the hydrogen peroxide is much more effective than the Mosquito Bits. I had been using the Mosquito Bits for the first 2 or more weeks, which seem to do nothing as the adult population was still flourishing.

I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: clancey
Unseasonably warm weather here in the NE the past week. Today will reach 59 degrees. We'll dip back down into the 30's for the weekend, but next week should be in the 40's just about all week. My fruit trees are already budding, and this is not good.

This is not good because trees need the winter dormant season for rest. Early budding cuts the dormant period short, which can delay fruit growth in the spring and affect the quality of the crop. Fruit buds are extremely vulnerable to freezing temperatures. When buds are hit with a cold snap after blooming has begun, the new growth may be shocked and suffer damage. The trees may not be able to bloom again later in the year.

With the cooler weather, the FF pond has cleared, and I can see all the way to the bottom. I had been cleaning leaves out all Fall, but now I see how many sank and are sitting on the bottom. A LOT! So, I've been spending some time the past few days scooping them out. I can only scoop so many before the turbulence makes them hard to see. It will take a few more days to get them all out. If left in, they are perfect "fertilizer" for algae as they break down.

I just ordered pond netting that I will stretch over the pond next Fall to keep leaves out of the water. That will eliminate a lot of extra work.

81rWTxMEceL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'll create some sort of supporting structure with the net on top and held down around the perimeter by rocks. This will keep the leaves from pushing the netting into the pond. The leaves won't weigh as much if not wet, and they should blow off for the most part saving me a lot of work. Something like this or even a raised frame so the wind catches it better with hardly any leaves collecting on the net.

ways-to-protect-your-koi-pond-sh-4-985x667.jpg__451286359.jpg

This will be our first year really putting effort into a garden. We also plan to get chickens this spring( we are last house on west of town but still in town so limited to 6) bought 2 44" led grow lights from menards. Only thing I've started so far is 5 peach trees that we hope will be cold hardy enough for our winters. I planted a mix of 12 apple and pear trees last year thatcwe grew from seed. 4. 5 ft tall ones. And we had 3 mulberry trees starting to grow when we moved in. My eventually goal is to have a miniature orchard/forest in the back yard for the chickens to run around in. While keeping the front yard for garden. This is a 1/2 acre lot.

20230104_182208.jpg

Peaches are hit or miss here. The tree does fine, but a late frost kills the bud. Then you have to trap the squirrels.

This will be our first year really putting effort into a garden. We also plan to get chickens this spring( we are last house on west of town but still in town so limited to 6) bought 2 44" led grow lights from menards. Only thing I've started so far is 5 peach trees that we hope will be cold hardy enough for our winters. I planted a mix of 12 apple and pear trees last year thatcwe grew from seed. 4. 5 ft tall ones. And we had 3 mulberry trees starting to grow when we moved in. My eventually goal is to have a miniature orchard/forest in the back yard for the chickens to run around in. While keeping the front yard for garden. This is a 1/2 acre lot.

View attachment 306996
Sounds exciting. Please keep us up to date. I always love to know what other gardeners are up to.

Reactions: RomanW and clancey
I'm online looking at greenhouses. This is going to be our 9th year with our present greenhouse. The double-wall poly is becoming cloudier, but plants still grow well. They guarantee the poly for 10 years, so I am not planning much past that.

I would love to get a 4-season greenhouse, but for the size I want so we could enjoy it for growing and hanging out, we're talking a minimum of about $20,000 to $25,000 for the greenhouse, shipping, and installation. One of these 4 season ones would be too big of a project for us to install ourselves. (Actual gh is half this price; the rest is shipping, prep, and installation.)

I am leaning towards a Planta greenhouse, most likely the Sunglow. (Really 3 season; to make it 4 season would be a lot of retrofitting and modification.)

It's just a matter of size. If I put it in the yard, I would get a 10x19.5. ($3500) Water is nearby, and I already have electricity run to the old greenhouse.

IMG_20200422_153657_061.jpg

If I put it down in the field, I would probably get a 10 x 32 ($4900), but then I would have to run electricity and water, an added expense.

ac6ecd894177--DSCN92731-4b6bee1.jpg

At least we would be able to save on shipping (free) and we could install the Planta ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ispinwool
Sounds really good wis and free I think a raised frame would be good and you could see into the pond better as well. I wonder if the netting is strong enough to last awhile and easy for you to get off the leaves---quite a situation you have and your on the right track I believe. For me I would putting a support framing section in and use hard wire and that would let the sun in better too for the fishys. Heck you could even put up a wide slat ladder that would look "cute" I think...Just a idea here so don't pay too much attention too for I know you have your plan "set" to go. clancey
By the way free those greenhouses look really neat and what kind of tree is beside that one greenhouse anyway...Lots of work you are creating here...clancey

Yea I would not like to have to fool with it by setting it up and taking down for just the fall for all I would want to do is sweep the leaves off of it each season. You could also have pretty plants hung around it...Just me...lol clancey

Best if you have a bed you’re building up and can dump the leaves right in it to decompose over the winter!

I’m ready to get more serious about growing some a garden. I’m not ready to tackle tomatoes. It’s just hard here as it will freeze in March and by June the nights don’t cool enough to get much to set.

I’m trying to decide to go between hydroponics with tower garden and pvc for greens or containers. My dad has been fiddling with his garden for 7 years and all he’s really found is that the summers here are really challenging. And with no green house March freezes means we really are in a doughnut hole. Too hot for peak summer productivity too cold to get an early start without a green house.

Should I go with easy to move inside to outside hydroponics and or conventional containers, or think more seriously about a green house?

I’d start with leafy greens. They’re easy to get going and are short season.

I’d think squashes would do fine too.

Are there any perennial plants that grow well there? Brambles?

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I’d start with leafy greens. They’re easy to get going and are short season.

I’d think squashes would do fine too.

Are there any perennial plants that grow well there? Brambles?
Blueberries do well. Black and raspberry are ok. But season is short. Squirrels are an issue.

I’ve done some research on perennials. Kale, greens, artichokes ect. Ordered some seeds but need to start them.

We like collards so those should be good.

Right now I’m full sun space limited. So hi density production is a priority.

you can fudge a little on sun. I’ve grown an awful lot of full sun plants under trees. You may not get as many fruit out of the plants, but it won’t be a lost cause either. It may actually work better with the heat. It may keep the sun off them just enough.