garn junior questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lacktoes

Dec 30, 2022
irish hills,mi
hello everyone !

newbie here ! been visiting the site for many years and cant tell you guys how much i have enjoyed and learned from all of you ! the knowledge and judgement free posts are incredible ! i finally worked up the courage to join and be a part of this incredible group ! i am currently removing my solo 40 and have a garn junior on reserve. i am not very tech savy so if i make mistakes i am sorry before i decided to start posting , i tried to search the forum to get a lot of questions answered. i am hoping to find find someone in southeast michigan who has one installed and could go look at. been reading the manual over and over to try to understand the ins and outs of the install. i ran the solo 40 for 11 years with no issues until my 1400 gal storage tank sprung a leak. i am an electrician by trade and a pretty handy . i work a ton of hours so if i dont respond right away , pls be patient i will do my best!

thanks again !

I used to like garns but then I read about the leaks and now I’m not so sure.

The Solo is a pressurized boiler? No? The Garn is open, that will be the main thing to work around, install/design wise. And also maintenance wise into the future. Hopefully you'll get some good input here, that's the extent of mine unfortunately.

Lacktoes Welcome to the forum. All I can say is I hope you have better luck with your Garn than I have. You couldn't run fast enough to sell me another. Not close to you but your more than welcome to come to eastern Nebraska and take a look. I open the door each morning cautiously hoping the next leak hasn't started.

Have you considered keeping the solo 40 and just replacing the leaky storage tank? I have a solo 55, (absolutely no problems since the install) still using it and I am on my 43rd year. It's heating my house right now with perfect water control temp of 170 deg F. My whole house is a comfortable 72 Deg F.

John M.

If you want something built similar to a Garn but that is pressurized, look at Switzer. I have one and I love it. But I’ve never had any other boiler, so I don’t really have anything to compare it with, other than the stories I hear. Not so many worries about the oxidation that can occur with an open system, and no need to filter the water.
I’m guessing you have your mind made up already. That’s okay, just make sure you follow manufacturer recommendations so that if you do have a leak, you will be covered.

Reactions: hobbyheater
If you want something built similar to a Garn but that is pressurized, look at Switzer. I have one and I love it. But I’ve never had any other boiler, so I don’t really have anything to compare it with, other than the stories I hear. Not so many worries about the oxidation that can occur with an open system, and no need to filter the water.
I’m guessing you have your mind made up already. That’s okay, just make sure you follow manufacturer recommendations so that if you do have a leak, you will be covered.
By the sounds of it a lot of people have found out that the manufacture's sometimes leave you out to dry, even when all the directions are followed.
I was happy about the 25 year warranty mine has, but in the weasel words it isn't covered for 25 years.But they may pay a percentage of the repair if it gets shipped back to their factory.
Garn was the gold standard when i joined this site.Efficiant,good customer support,good history of being bulletproof.But there are a couple of members that will gladly tell you tier story.

Reactions: sloeffle
Garn was the gold standard when i joined this site.Efficiant,good customer support,good history of being bulletproof.But there are a couple of members that will gladly tell you tier story.

That's what I heard also when I joined. Because of all that talk and one member that was a dealer out east was the main reason I bought one. Now that guy is gone from the forum and when I talked to him on the phone when I had my first leak. He is no longer a dealer or servicing them. I wish I would have made the trip to New York state to get a Switzer.

Reactions: gfirkus
Got two buddies that heat with wood. One has a wood stove in the garage next to his vehicle. The other has a wood stove in his commercial cabinet shop. …. I believe their insurance won’t cover the loss if something bad happens. It’s the carriers bat and ball and their rules….. follow them or don’t … but don’t whine if ya don’t and they don’t bail you out.

As far as that gold standard…. My Garn has been chugging along for ten years. Thinking there’s a metric crap pot of them floating around - and I think there is only a very limited number of people having issues with them. I know I’d do it again (if it doesn’t outlive me). I had a few early issues and Martin worked thru them to my satisfaction. Can’t speak for anyone else but they always did me right.
Dan

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think there's a sample size error with the Garn issues. It seems like over 99% of them are operating problem free, for decades in some cases. There will always be anomalies to any statistic, but overall it seems like Garn is a solid choice, if that's what will work with your heating system.

Reactions: sloeffle
with my solo40 and 1400 gallons of unpressurized storage i never had to burn more once a day loading it 1 1/2 times. heating a 2000 sq ft ranch with ok insulation and windows . loved the system but i made several mistakes on the install. biggest mistake was putting the 40 in the basement resulting in soot all over the house. once the steel tank developed several holes (more mistakes) was the motivation to change things up. the 40 never gave me an ounce of trouble so it was a tough decision . i have not committed to the garn just have one reserved waiting for garn to set pricing for 2023. i like the idea of pressurized storage with the switzer but i hear they are more $$ and i dont know if they qualify for the federal tax rebate. if i understand correctly i would also have to pick it up in new york. alot of decisions to make with alot of money on the line so i am trying figure my best move

I didn’t pursue any tax rebate, but I do not think the Switzer qualifies because to my knowledge it hasn’t went through any testing. I had mine shipped to Kansas, I did not pick it up. Gary got the shipping arranged for me. I don’t know about the more $.

I was just reading that in the US you don't actually get the full tax credit unless you have a lot of tax liability.
Check with your accountant before you buy to make sure that the tax credit will actually get you a return.

lacktoes Check with your accountant if you are a average homeowner the tax saving may not work real well. When I installed my Garn in 2009 I got some tax money but back then I was working in town and farming. I also use the Garn to heat my farm shop. I think you will find Gary is right inline with a Garn on price. I wouldn't buy another non pressurized system. After two leaks and losing two grand of chemicals that's tough. My Garn has been expensive to maintain. I hope to keep my Garn together for a few more years not ready to spend another twenty grand on another boiler.

with my solo40 and 1400 gallons of unpressurized storage i never had to burn more once a day loading it 1 1/2 times. heating a 2000 sq ft ranch with ok insulation and windows . loved the system but i made several mistakes on the install. biggest mistake was putting the 40 in the basement resulting in soot all over the house. once the steel tank developed several holes (more mistakes) was the motivation to change things up. the 40 never gave me an ounce of trouble so it was a tough decision . i have not committed to the garn just have one reserved waiting for garn to set pricing for 2023. i like the idea of pressurized storage with the switzer but i hear they are more $$ and i dont know if they qualify for the federal tax rebate. if i understand correctly i would also have to pick it up in new york. alot of decisions to make with alot of money on the line so i am trying figure my best move
What I really don't understand is your comment about "mistake was putting the 40 in the basement resulting in soot all over the house". I have my Tarm MB solo 55 in the basement (going on 43 years now) and NEVER have had any smoke in my basement. I can (and just did it now) open the upper loading door to put wood in and have absolutely no smoke. I don't have to open the loading door slow as my chimney draft is strong. Now to understand my configuration : My chimney (12"X12" clay tile liner) is 25 ft. high. The boiler is in my basement, inside my house and the chimney is within the walls of the house so it is warm with minimum creosote build up ( I clean it once a year).

John M.

Froling is now EPA certified for the tax rebate. And I think their storage would be also. They are pricey but the Cadillac.

I’d recommend calling Tarm and chatting with Chris. He could help you with the old system. That’s what he’s there for.

Tarms website has a lot of info also