Garn Water Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hedge wood

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
Eastern NE
Just wandering how many of you Garn owners have added a hot water filter to your older Garn systems as the new owner manual show?

I have and the ones I service have them as well. I find that you’ll go through the first few rather quickly 2-6 months, then I change at 6 month intervals.
You’ll see after you change the first one out how slimes they become.

I figured since I had the Garn drained and cleaned out for the cracked weld repair I would install a filter. I was a little worried if the plastic high temp housing would hold up so i bought a stainless filter housing. I also installed gauges on the inlet of the filter and the outlet so I could see when it was plugging. I have had the Garn back up and running since the first of Aug . The first couple of months I was changing it every two weeks. Down to once a month and hoping to move to every six months.