Gas chimney liner install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
Hello folks ,
I'm looking to have an existing interior chimney lined & have a Lopi Berkshire installed on the hearth . I just got off the phone with a dealer in Maine who does a lot of work in my area . I had gone to the dealer about 10 days ago to schedule an appointment to have the job looked at & given an estimate. When no one showed up at the 12:30 Pm appointment I waited till 3:30 PM & called . The owner answered & said " oh , that was my bad " ( no apology). .He then said" but it doesn't matter we don't need to look at the chimney" , it's around $1200 . I then asked about coordinating the running of the gas line so that the dealer could run the stove & make adjustments. The owner told me that they don't need to have the gas line installed to make the adjustments. This is a used stove & I want to make sure that it is running right so I asked how it is possible to make sure that the Lopi is burning correctly & running right without a gas line hooked up to it .The owner got very belligerent & told me that he would install it his way & not my way. I know it's a very busy time of year & shops are stressed but I just wanted my stove installed , checked & adjusted to make sure that it would be safe to operate .
Is it typical to install a gas appliance without a gas line & call it good ?
Thanks for any input ................

Bob

No, a complete installation should include firing up the unit and making sure the draft restrictor (if applicable), air/fuel shutter(s), etc are adjusted properly.

if you are on LP they could bring a tank to test it, thats what we do if the tank and lines aren't in yet...

I don't know anything about gas, but that guy just sounds like a jerk. I'd find someone else to do the work.

Reactions: themooseman
Thanks for the replies. I am on LP & was wondering if a portable tank could be used if the gas line wasn't in yet . The owner of the stove shop made no mention of that possibility . So I am back to square one & looking to have the liner installed & the Lopi Berkshire set up . I have a date for the Lp line to be run .
Thanks again .....................

Bob

PS --- Is it necessary to have a Lopi dealer do the liner install , stove setup & adjusting or could it be done by other non Lopi dealers . Other than running the gas line I'd like to have one business to deal with should there be issues and/or service down the line .........

Thanks ,
Bob

Just about ANY qualified gas technician can make the final adjustments to ANY stove, as long as they are supplied with the install manual.
I've gone on service calls on units that our company didn't sell, & tuned them sucessfully. Since the operating principles are pretty much the same, most of the reputable techs can take care of you. Search your area for locally situated NFI Certified Gas Technicians & you should be good to go.

Thanks Daksy , The folks running my Lp ,line are certified & are also a dealer for Rinnai heaters but don't do chimney linings . I buy my LP from them so I'll have them run the line, set up & adjust the stove once I find someone to install the liner ...........

Thanks again for the help ,
Bob

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.