Gas Fire Place - Ventilation and Heat Radiant issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vanick

Apr 16, 2018
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Hello fireplace experts,

We recently moved to a new house with a natural gas fireplace installed in the living room (see photo below). We have the TV wall-mounted above the fireplace, which I learned it is not a good idea for the lifespan of the TV.

The fireplace is very efficient and where I live the price of natural gas is very affordable. However, over the winter, we've realized a huge issue with the fireplace -

The heat radiants directly above the fireplace, causing the areas above the fireplace being scorching hot.

There is no fan installed inside the fireplace, but based on my understanding, the convective heat suppose to vent from the top, however, upon opening the cover panel, I couldn't see it ventilates.

The surface area above the fireplace, including the wooden mantel, gets overheated to the point where it is untouchable. I was wondering if the fireplace was installed correctly and if there's anywhere to correct such issue.

Looking forward to your expertise.

Regards,

Jack

20180314_202748.jpg

20180314_202752.jpg

20180314_202903.jpg

20180314_202947.jpg

From what I can see, it probably uses ceramic board as a wall because the manufacture probably realises the wall floor ceiling temperature is high.

Usually it depends on the design of the unit and the unit's framing kit. With different region probably have different standard in terms of combustible materials to construct the wall and framing around the fireplace. Unless this fireplace gives way too much heat for a living room than it should be.

I would recommend to check with owner's manual to see if there is any section suggesting what type of materials for the wall to use or if you can't find it, contact with the fireplace manufacture and see if they have a solution for you. Regardless, it will need some kind of vent or heat shield for the fireplace above.

Also, the installation between the screen and the unit probably plays a big roll since it can redirect hot air to create high temperature in some certain area.

good luck