Gas stove getting blown out by the wind..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlets

Dec 23, 2005
NW Conn.
Hi All,

Along with my pellet stove I installed a gas stove, Heathstone Tucson upstairs. I had it installed on Friday and haven't used it untill this morning..we were away for the holidays. I have two problems the first is that the flames on high go right to the top of the stove, the manual says this should not happen and explains how to do a air shutter adjustment. I have done that, turned the adjustment screw slowly both ways open and closed, ti does not do anything. If that doesn't work the manual says to have a gas technician do a supply line manifild adjustment.

My second problem is that today it is a windy day, I can't keep the stove lit. As soon as a gust of wind blows the stove goes out, pilot light and all. The stove is installed with the vent facing the west, that's where the wind blows from. I'm on top of a mountain so it's always windy here. I have the propane company coming out this afternoon. But if someone can offer advise that would be great. Thanks

Rob

rjlets said:
Hi All,

Along with my pellet stove I installed a gas stove, Heathstone Tucson upstairs. I had it installed on Friday and haven't used it untill this morning..we were away for the holidays. I have two problems the first is that the flames on high go right to the top of the stove, the manual says this should not happen and explains how to do a air shutter adjustment. I have done that, turned the adjustment screw slowly both ways open and closed, ti does not do anything. If that doesn't work the manual says to have a gas technician do a supply line manifild adjustment.

My second problem is that today it is a windy day, I can't keep the stove lit. As soon as a gust of wind blows the stove goes out, pilot light and all. The stove is installed with the vent facing the west, that's where the wind blows from. I'm on top of a mountain so it's always windy here. I have the propane company coming out this afternoon. But if someone can offer advise that would be great. Thanks

Rob

Many of the direct vent piping companies sell various terminations....some designed exactly for what your problem it. It might pay to experiment and set up a small sheet metal heat shield on the windy side of your termination (at least a few inches away) and see if that makes a difference.

One the second point, I thing an adjustment of the regulator might take care of this. Of course, turning the hi-lo valve down creates the same situation.

Thanks Craig, Where is the regulator your refferning to? I tried the high lo knob even on low the flame gets blown out. I'm going to try my stove dealer to see about a terminator to take care of the wind problem....The second problem that the flame is too high I can try the regulator, do you mean the shutoff knob at the propane tank?

rjlets said:
Thanks Craig, Where is the regulator your refferning to? I tried the high lo knob even on low the flame gets blown out. I'm going to try my stove dealer to see about a terminator to take care of the wind problem....The second problem that the flame is too high I can try the regulator, do you mean the shutoff knob at the propane tank?

The regulator I think they are mentioning is the one installed by the LP dealer at the tank. I have heard of situations where these are either bad or the pressure is too high.

This is something only the LP dealer should adjust or replace. I'm not sure if all of them are adjustable (probably cheaper ones are not).....but the LP guy will know what to do.

Of course, we must assume the the stove has the correct LP conversion kits installed?

Yes it does, there is a sticker on the front panel when you open it that says LP. Well thanks for the reply, like I said the guy is coming over this afternoon. I'll post tonight hopefully with a resolution to at least one of the problems.....Thanks again!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.