Generator for our new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I guess that's the ideal one to get, if I can find it! I wrote to Harman to ask if the newer models were approved, but they said no because they hadn't been tested yet. Anyone have the newer model(s) of this APC and tested it?

I realize now why I was looking at other UPS's....someone said I should get 1500w because the one mentioned above (APC) will only give me a few minutes for my pellet stove to shut down. Doesn't it take at least 30 minutes or so to shut down?

As far as we know, the square, clipped wave of the approved APC triggers the shutdown procedure. The thing is, almost all non-sine wave UPSes, have a square, clipped wave, so they pretty much all should trigger the shutdown. It's the Pure Sine wave UPSes, that'll keep your stove running, because your normal electricity from your utility is also a pure sine wave.

The approved, or tested, APC unit is a 750VA, which means it's roughly half the battery of the 1500VA models. It would typically give you 20 to 30mins of power at about 100 watts, which should be enough time for most stoves to shutdown and vent. Actually, since a stove in shutdown will only be venting out, and not blowing any heat into the house, it'll use less electricity.

The point is, you get the UPS that meets what your goal is. If you want it to auto-shutdown, then get a UPS that has a non-sine wave. If you want the stove to keep running, then you get a large UPS with a pure-sine wave. Some people who get lots of short outages, less than an hour, would probably prefer a Pure Sine UPS, since it'll bridge your stove past those short outages.

Reactions: tmsjava
I realize now why I was looking at other UPS's....someone said I should get 1500w because the one mentioned above (APC) will only give me a few minutes for my pellet stove to shut down. Doesn't it take at least 30 minutes or so to shut down?
Hi tmsjava if your stove has enough draft you most likely don't need a ups to "shut it down" so first thing I would do is run the stove and then cut the power and see if you get smoke in the room, if you don't get any smoke in the room then all you need in my opinion is a good ups that protects it from poor power or surges. Now as far as the generator is concerned I would recommend an inverter due to its proven to run HARMAN stoves if you try a non inverter and the one you choose doesn't work for some reason then your dealing with returning it. For instance my ups won't except power from a non inverter generator.hope this helps you figure things out.

Hi tmsjava if your stove has enough draft you most likely don't need a ups to "shut it down" so first thing I would do is run the stove and then cut the power and see if you get smoke in the room, if you don't get any smoke in the room then all you need in my opinion is a good ups that protects it from poor power or surges. Now as far as the generator is concerned I would recommend an inverter due to its proven to run HARMAN stoves if you try a non inverter and the one you choose doesn't work for some reason then your dealing with returning it. For instance my ups won't except power from a non inverter generator. Hope this helps you figure things out.

The one I posted above does auto shutdown on my harman

I think I would definitely consider one of those, have read good about them.

If not mistaken I think Highbeam here has one - not sure if its dual fuel or not though.

Champion has developed a good reputation for service and reliability. They provide a good value. Our Yamaha 2400 is setup for dual-fuel. If I didn't have it I would have picked up that Champion. IIRC the only weak feature is that one has to manually select hi or low power. The Yamaha is automatic.

Just came across this generator. It's a bit pricier than the Aipower 2000i (with Yamaha engine - $500), but I like that it can also run on propane if needed and it has an electric start! Obviously it's heavy, but it has wheels. Anyone had any experience with Champion generators?

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator,-Electric-Start,-RV-Ready,-Parallel-Capable,-CARB-%26-EPA-Certified,-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html

T.
Yes I have a champion 3400 watt inverter gen it's about a year old it runs pellet stove refrig deep freezer lights internet all at once in an outage does a very good job.

Champion has developed a good reputation for service and reliability. They provide a good value. Our Yamaha 2400 is setup for dual-fuel. If I didn't have it I would have picked up that Champion. IIRC the only weak feature is that one has to manually select hi or low power. The Yamaha is automatic.
Hey begreen I have the champion 3400 the high low power switch adjusts the idle speed it will automatically ramp idle up and down based on electrical load in economy ,if you switch economy off it will run at full throttle, the only reasons I don't have economy turned on is to start the gen or have a heavy electrical load that could stall it before economy could adjust idle up.

Reactions: begreen
IMO, unless the pellet stove is vented straight out a UPS isn`t worth the expense when compared to the usefulness of a generator. And if you go with a generator why not just use the central heating system instead of the pellet stove . It`s a lot more efficient especially in a power outage situation.
For nearly 10 yrs I`ve been using a smallish 2500 watt 120v generator that powers up the furnace, refrigerator, and a few lights on both floors plus the basement. A tank of gas lasts for hours . Too large a generator is a fuel waste and overkill. Most folks I know with a generator use only a partial capability of their generator .
That all said if you need 240 v for a water pump or other particular need you are probably not going to find a low wattage generator with a 240 v capability.

Reactions: chken
IMO, unless the pellet stove is vented straight out a UPS isn`t worth the expense when compared to the usefulness of a generator. And if you go with a generator why not just use the central heating system instead of the pellet stove . It`s a lot more efficient especially in a power outage situation.
For nearly 10 yrs I`ve been using a smallish 2500 watt 120v generator that powers up the furnace, refrigerator, and a few lights on both floors plus the basement. A tank of gas lasts for hours . Too large a generator is a fuel waste and overkill. Most folks I know with a generator use only a partial capability of their generator .
That all said if you need 240 v for a water pump or other particular need you are probably not going to find a low wattage generator with a 240 v capability.
A UPS, with AVR, auto voltage regulation, is useful for someone who has lots of small outages, as well as lots of voltage fluctuations. A generator is good for someone who has longer outages.

I totally agree that "too large" a generator can waste fuel, and requires more fill ups.

And the situation you describe of looking for a small generator with 220/240v capability is really quite a unicorn. If you want an inverter model, I haven't seen anything more than 3000w, and they're all priced over $1000. So, expensive compared to regular generators, with square waves.

I recently picked up a 3800w dual-fuel, 220/240v, WEN DF475 model from Home Depot for $290, as a Special Buy. Has everything I wanted except the pure-sine inverter. Now, I have to put in a switch for my 100amp sub panel that runs the part of the house I use in Winter, with boiler, well pump, etc.