Get the Hardwood Ready!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We'll see how good accuweather is. Plenty of good sugar maple and beech all set for the colder months.

zap

Attachments

• 590x393_10041757_2011-12%20northeast.jpg
    590x393_10041757_2011-12%20northeast.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 590x393_10041805_2011-12%20winter%20highlights%20us.jpg
    590x393_10041805_2011-12%20winter%20highlights%20us.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 734
doesn't it feel good to have good fuel to get you through the winter?

here in the hudon valley, its been years, decades, since we've had real, deep cold. just this morning i was resetting my outdoor thermometer and the high was 102.5 on july 22 and the low was -6.5 on jan 20 (i think). back in the 70's and 80 we would see -20 or close to it every winter. last year it reached -10. the year before -8.

thanks for posting this zap.

OT

I do not like "more ice than snow" crap they have parked over TN. See what you can do for us, Zap. ;-P

Pagey said:
I do not like "more ice than snow" crap they have parked over TN. See what you can do for us, Zap. ;-P

I agree Pagey, we hate the ice also. I'll speak with the boss (savuweather) and see what he can do.

zap

onetracker said:
doesn't it feel good to have good fuel to get you through the winter?

here in the hudon valley, its been years, decades, since we've had real, deep cold. just this morning i was resetting my outdoor thermometer and the high was 102.5 on july 22 and the low was -6.5 on jan 20 (i think). back in the 70's and 80 we would see -20 or close to it every winter. last year it reached -10. the year before -8.

thanks for posting this zap.

OT

Yes it does onetracker. I'll take the snow over the -20 to -30 temps. I hope accuweather is wrong but time will tell.

zap

I am borderline between the worst of winter and stormy with mild breaks. I am not sure which is better, but I have enough firewood for both.

I'm ready. :coolgrin: Farmer's Almanac says pretty much same thing too,possibly a bit less snow but still bitterly cold.

:coolsmirk:
Thistle said:
I'm ready. :coolgrin: Farmer's Almanac says pretty much same thing too,possibly a bit less snow but still bitterly cold.

Thistle; looks like smokin will be burning another 20 cord this year. :zip:

zap

Temps have been 75 to 82 here with sunshine & very low humidity the past 5 days,supposed to continue through Sunday.Slight chance of rain,around 30% for the weekend,could really use some now.Only .70 inches last month statewide average.July through September was the 2nd driest since 1952.November looks cool & very wet at times,with soaking rains.

Thistle said:
Temps have been 75 to 82 here with sunshine & very low humidity the past 5 days,supposed to continue through Sunday.Slight chance of rain,around 30% for the weekend,could really use some now.Only .70 inches last month statewide average.July through September was the 2nd driest since 1952.November looks cool & very wet at times,with soaking rains.

thistle

i don't know which is more painful. drought or flooding. houses were washed away here in the northeast. flood insurance? why would someone living at 2500' need flood insurance? this is the year they found out.

we've had the wettest august on record, the wettest sept on record and the wettest year on record.
this tells me someone is NOT getting enough rain. and that someone is you guys in the mid west and mid south.
we're finally drying out here...my wood stacks are SOGGY !!! hopefully not for long.

wishing you all the best

OT

onetracker said:
Thistle said:

thistle

i don't know which is more painful. drought or flooding. houses were washed away here in the northeast. flood insurance? why would someone living at 2500' need flood insurance? this is the year they found out.

we've had the wettest august on record, the wettest sept on record and the wettest year on record.
this tells me someone is NOT getting enough rain. and that someone is you guys in the mid west and mid south.
we're finally drying out here...my wood stacks are SOGGY !!! hopefully not for long.

wishing you all the best

OT

Its odd because April through mid June was one of the wettest here in years,almost 22 inches.Then the tap turned off,barely 8 inches from then to now,even in July we normally get 3-4 inches of rain.The grass & fields didnt start getting brown until a few weeks ago thanks to all the subsoil moisture earlier,still green in most of the woodlands though.Now a few smaller towns have low-level voluntary restrictions on water usage,if it continues that will be increased in region & be mandatory.Rivers & creeks are way down as expected.Normally see minor to moderate flooding for a few weeks in late Spring from snowmelt + heavy rains.That happened until June,sure can tell the difference going across the mile long bridge at Saylorville Dam NW of metro area,its 30 + feet below capacity now.

I never believe those long rang forecasts, they can't even predict the weather 2 days out. I'll be ready no matter what hits.

Dead middle of the Ice over Snow zone. Ice is the worst as the electric distribution system comes down all over our area. Worst is the danger to the line crews out trying to fix things. And the volunteer fire service trying to save all those that never burn wood until the electric fails for a few days.

Thanks zap! :ahhh:

Let's see, brutal winter, snow, cold, and heavy lake effect snows. Yep, I'm in the fubar-ed zone.
I've been waiting for zap to post something, could really have waited a bit longer.

Jags said:
Great!
Fricken @#(%&$ cold weather. I live right in the middle of the loop that says "YOUR SCREWED".

:lol: You should be makin up their maps. They would get more attention and be more accurate.

Battenkiller said:
Is this any better?

Now, could you change that "worst of winter" crap?
Thanks in advance.

Jags said:
Great!
Fricken @#(%&$ cold weather. I live right in the middle of the loop that says "YOUR SCREWED".

...and I'm just a tad north of you. Ugh!

zapny said:
We'll see how good accuweather is. Plenty of good sugar maple and beech all set for the colder months.

zap

What does "stormy & cold" mean? Because snow and ice are listed separately. It can't be 'cold' and rainy, cuz that would mean 'mild and rainy'. Will something other than moisture be falling from the sky during these storms? Like piglets? Angry badgers? Locust?

Is it going to get Biblical here?

Todd said:
I never believe those long rang forecasts, they can't even predict the weather 2 days out. I'll be ready no matter what hits.

+1000

Let's resurrect this forecast in 3 months and have a good chuckle.

Battenkiller said:
Pagey said:

Is this any better?

Move that warm weather up north BK, I hate it when we burn up our wood.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.