getting busier here ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Seems to be getting busier here in the wood shed. Do most people wait till August to gather firewood?

Well ya. When do you get yours ?

It's August ??? Crap I better get on it, I still need to finish collecting for 2015-2016 season. Crap !!!!!!!

Shawn

I'm one of the guilty ones making it 'busier' here. I admit, I procrastinated this year for my wood splitting needs. I'm planning on cutting 2-3 times as much as I'll need, so I can start getting ahead by a year or two.

I'm going to wait another month, then I'll be cutting for 2013.

Sold 5 cord, have to get out there and gather for 2014 again.

Yes this month has been more active for me .... i haven't had the time to get years ahead in the wood game this year. But at least this year i have soild amount to get me through this heating season and probably a start for the next one as well! BTW i told the guys at work that heating season starts in aprox 40-50 days hahaha

I Fell/Buck/Haul most of my wood in the cold months of spring/fall, winter if there's no snow on the ground. I split off and on all year since I'm way ahead of my burning requirements.

That said if someone offered me a crack at a sizable quantity of good wood, I wouldn't say no even if it was July and 90+.

:coolsmile:

Every corner of the site starts picking up in mid August.

smokingout said:
Seems to be getting busier here in the wood shed. Do most people wait till August to gather firewood?

I pick away at it from the time the snow goes away and I cannot go sledding any longer . . . but it's still too early to ride the ATV until late-Summer . . . and then I start working on getting in the wood . . . I am however working on my wood supply for 2013-2014.

smokingout said:

I also notice the posts picking up in the hearth room. Do most wait until August to gather firewood? No. Most wait until October or November and then expect it to keep them warm over the winter. It does not work worth a hoot and that is why most folks here on hearth.com get their firewood ahead of time. I've preached for a long time to get 2-3 years ahead on your firewood. Yes, even if you buy it because you can't buy good dry wood or if you find some it is extremely rare, contrary to what most wood sellers would have you believe.

It also makes me feel good to see so many following that advice to get ahead on the wood supply and even the moderators have picked up on this idea. And then we see people like rdust and Steve the fire chief. Rdust just had back surgery and Steve was in an awful accident. Thankfully both of them are ahead on their firewood so now they can't cut for a while but they are still supplied. That, sir, is better than money in the bank. As for us, we are set through the winter of 2015-2016 or possibly 2016-2017. It just depends on if we sell some or help someone out as to how much we have on hand. Yet, I plan on putting up at least 3 more years of wood supply this coming winter.

My cousin in Michigan starts "just before" the first accumulating snow.

I'm guessing there is fast drying trees in Michigan.

No fast driers here but he sounds quite normal.... Sad.

I've been working my tail off this summer. There's been a lot of available free wood from all the storms here in the area. I'm set for 2012, and getting close for 2013.

I gather wood when time permits. My dad found 9 big pin oaks in a yard today that were blown over the other day. I have plenty of wood but that much wood in one yard is hard to pass up. He said you can drive up to each tree. Glad I have easy access to wood. I feel very fortunate.

...get 2-3 years ahead on your firewood

I'm guilty of not having that sort of supply, I never knew how important it was to have a lot of dry firewood. Growing up, my father would cut and split firewood at the beginning of winter for that year, sometimes going out, splitting wood, and throwing it right in the fire, so that is what I learned.
I've learned a great deal since then mostly because of this forum.

Now I know it's important to have a large supply, so this year my goal is to reach that 2-3 yr supply. :)

Well, since becoming a Hearth.com member, it is what is is. Now through all of the knowledge I have gained there is a reason I am 4-5 years ahead. Special thanks to BWS. Give em hell Dennis!

MMMMMMMMMMMM. Dry wood!

KC

I should be good this year and part of next.

I am going to hit it hard during the cold months this year and try to get 2 yrs ahead.

key word is try.

I have 3 big ole apple trees. 5 pine, 2 cherry, 1 ash and maple on the chopping block.

Maybe I hang out with smokinjay a bit if I am lucky.

iskiatomic said:
Well, since becoming a Hearth.com member, it is what is is. Now through all of the knowledge I have gained there is a reason I am 4-5 years ahead. Special thanks to BWS. Give em hell Dennis!

MMMMMMMMMMMM. Dry wood!

KC

Thanks KC. That just gives you more time to ski in the winter months. Good for you.

The two people I buy from don't start delivering til September when their summer seasonal works slacks off. I don't have enough room to be more then a year ahead. I'll start to get stocked up in September for next winter; unless we have a really bad winter but I figure by the end of the season what I get in September is usually decent enough for a few weeks to end the season is needed.

As I said in a previous post a few people I drive past on the way to work store their wood in their carports; won't see any in there till October.

Ive been thinking about getting one more cord for 12/13... but of course the Mrs. thinks we have enough ;)

Coincidentally I felt the need to fire up the snowblower today for 15min. Don't want to find out the carb is gummed up and it wont start when I get around to cleaning it up for the season in Nov.

Good for you jharkin. More folks need to do that. I like to start all motors during the off season including during the winter, starting the lawn mower. It's just a habit I created many moons ago and it seems to be a good thing. I do put gas stablizer in before putting them into storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.