Getting expensive and discouraged

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have the VC Encore 2190 from 1991. I am rebuilding some if the inside, which is lower &upper fireback, catalytic combustor unit. The expenses for this are getting quite high. My question is MUST I have the catalytic combustor unit installed to use the stove? I am heating roughly 700 sq ft (living room,kitchen and dining room). I have a gas furnace as a back up. I am getting many conflicting answer from parts suppliers. What started out as a $225.00 fix is now close to $650.00 with the catalytic combustor unit and catalyst. Please someone tell me the answer! Lol. Thanks in advance!

if you intend on using it as an open fireplace, no. if using it as intended, as a wood stove, yes, you will need the refractory, catalytic, etc.

i have the model 2550, successor to the 2190, broken apart with parts for sale, but not the refractory/cat.

Thank you for responding. I plan on using it as a wood stove. I bought it used and don't think the refractor/catalysis ever was intact. I have used it for 3 yrs with good heat. Im sure it would work better if it was all working.

The catalytic system seems hard to use. Can you give me any layman's terms for using it. Lol. I have watched many YouTube videos and it seems like I get different answers for it. Lol

Thanks! Your info is appreciated!

i picked up the 2550 locally this summer. since it was missing the refractory and catalytic, as well as having a crack on the top, i decided to break it down and sell it as parts. so, i never operated it. however, the person i bought it from told me that it was in their house when they bought to. they were ignorant of the cat/refractory set up, and ran it regularly. they told me they once had a chimney fire. i believe it was because the cat never burned the heavy smoke, and creosote developed in the chimney. there was creosote in the stove.

if you use it as a wood stove, it will burn dirty, inefficiently, and possibly burn the house down!

Last edited:
Reactions: jlggomez