Getting my insert tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewsome

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island
I'm getting my Jotul wood insert installed tomorrow, finally. But I have a question:

At the bottom of my fireplace floor, is a rectangular hole, about 5x8". It's the ash drop (see picture). I was thinking of filling it with some insulation, and then covering with a 3/8" thick floor tile (see other picture). Does this make sense? Will the floor tile end up cracking from the thermal stress anyway? Or should I just leave the hole open? Opinions please!

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 248
Congratulations. That should be ok. I strongly doubt the tile will get heat stressed. Where does the ash trap empty out to? If there is an outside door, it should be sealed.

Thanks for your reply. The ashes drop down to a trap in my basement. (The insert is on the 1st floor).

If this is in an external chimney, it can't hurt to cram some unfaced fiberglass insulation in there...
The tile will probably move when you slide that heavy bear in there so why do it?

DAKSY said:
If this is in an external chimney, it can't hurt to cram some unfaced fiberglass insulation in there...
The tile will probably move when you slide that heavy bear in there so why do it?

I thought about that too -- that the tile probably won't stay in position anyway. Stuffing some insulation in there may be enough.

I posed the question simply because I'm not completely confident my installer is looking out for my interests in doing the best job, as opposed to the quickest job. I base this on a number of things he's told me -- no need to insulate the liner (for an external masonry chimney), no need for a block off plate, etc.

I'm very thankful to you and the good people in this forum for all their support. Thanks.

I put a sheet metal plate under our pellet insert to make it easier to pull out for service. Got the metal from a scrap yard and cut it down to fit. I kept the other cut-off part and placed that on the hearth so that it did not get scratched when pulling out the insert. It worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.