Getting paid to take wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I have a friend who lives up on a ranch property and she goes through a few cord of wood every year. This year, she asked if she could borrow my splitter, so of course I said yes.... she traded me beer to use the splitter. A little less than a month later, her landlords told her that they were selling the property at the end of may and that she could no longer collect firewood after a certain date. she went out and dragged a bunch of deadfall and prepped for a cold winter. She borrowed the splitter again, and decided that she was going to have more than enough, and again i got a few cases of beer out of it.

Fast forward a couple of months.... it was a warm winter, and i get a phone call.
"Do you have any moving boxes?"
"sure do" I say.
"i'll trade you 1.5 cord of wood for a few boxes and some helping moving a few things"
"done"

This is the first load of seasoned pine... there are at least 3 more split that are well seasoned enough to burn, and another 2 of pine and aspen rounds....
20170421_163301.jpg

It seems to me like I just got paid 3 times to take this wood :)

That's a sweet score...no doubt about it.

Jumbos stomp on Camels! :p
most of the time, but our mascot was named because of a coach that smoked about 4 packs of camels a day... :)

i picked up the last of 4 loads of wood. i ended up having to take some rounds too... mostly pine and fir, and some aspen. I ended up with 2.25 cord of split wood, and 1/2 cord that i will have to put some work into (not really... the dht 22 will do that!)

some of the pieces are little and short, but at the end of the day, they will burn! i ended up getting it all stacked and prepped for next year!

Well that is just weird, I live about half a mile from Conn College, and I've never seen a bumper sticker for them. I had to go look up the mascot to make sure there wasn't a Conn college out in Colorado. :)

most of the bumper stickers have the ole' tree, but it has been the camels since 1969. After school I spent a few years between niantic, groton, and clinton.